Knocking noise front passenger side

jonny747

Hi All

I have noticed a knocking type of noise from front passenger side and it gets louder when taking right hand corners, only just bought car and it's recently had new brakes and disks all round. It sounds like a sticky caliper on a warped disk but there is no vibration or wobble on steering wheel, als i have jacked up the car and checked the wheels are moving freely and all seems to be ok ??

Any clues please 

If it was a warped disc you would get vibration through the pedal when braking from motorway speeds. 

Knocking more likely to be a worn bush in my opinion.

Just when I think of a "knocking" noise I certainly wouldn't think of a warped brake disc, though it's hard to tell without actually hearing it lol

It's not a mechanical knocking as such not like an engine knocking sound but more of something catching on wheel or drive shaft, obviously it becomes louder the faster I go and speeds up or slows down with the speed I go hence the thought of a sticky caliper also becomes more noticeable when turning right therefore all weight on left side ?

I will try James but don't think its loud enough to pick up.... Its getting slightly louder by the day I would put it straight into garage but need car for work so catch twenty two... Trying to find a good reputable garage that opens on a Saturday is !Removed! neigh impossible !!!

I'm Pretty sure its a calliper as tonight when pulling into my drive on full lock I heard a grinding noise like the brakes locking on or catching on something plus I'm now getting slight vibration in steering wheel on my commute to work.

14 hours ago, jonny747 said:

I will try James but don't think its loud enough to pick up.... Its getting slightly louder by the day I would put it straight into garage but need car for work so catch twenty two... Trying to find a good reputable garage that opens on a Saturday is !Removed! neigh impossible !!!

I'm Pretty sure its a calliper as tonight when pulling into my drive on full lock I heard a grinding noise like the brakes locking on or catching on something plus I'm now getting slight vibration in steering wheel on my commute to work.

Give it a try you never know!

Hi, I had a similar noise a few days after buying my A4. Took it to a local garage and it was found that the rear clip on the back of the brake pad had sheared off and got stuck in the piston leaving the pad to be loose in the caliper. Pads only had a few hundred miles on them and we're DELPHI pads fitted by kwik-fit.

Cheers guys

I'm gonna try and book it in next week as doing my nut now !!  Will get a service at same time just need to find a good garage near where i live.....