2.0 tdi Bkd engine cam belt tensioner

Brucielee

Got a friend with an a3 as above, was going fine and then stopped, 

I know there are cambelt tensioner issues with these engines, took the cam belt cover off and the tensioner is still well tensioned and belt is still tight, now the marks that have been put on the camshaft pulleys for timing purposes I would suspect, they are out of line by 3 teeth on the belt according to the timing marks, Firstly is there any other known problems that I should look for and should I try to reset the timing to see if it will start

Whatever I do its not going to do anymore damage if it's already done as it's going to need a new engine anyway

Any input or thoughts would be greatly welcomed 

Thanks 

I would probably time up the camshafts independently just in case the marks are incorrect...if it's still tensioned correctly then I would imagine there are teeth missing somewhere, probably down by the crank pulley?

As you say, the engine is probably US by now anyway

Good luck

I wouldn't take as read that the engine is damaged if it's only 3 teeth out. It could well be, but that would need to be checked, by removing and inspecting the old belt, and all associated components and resetting the timing. You can then 'safely' attempt to restart the car on the basis that if any damage had been done, then it isn't going to start, but if not, it probably will. 

Always worth a try.

Goid luck,

Gareth.

• 5 years later...

Hello Chris, 

I think it might be a little of a long shot since the original poster hasn’t returned to the forum for over 5 years. 
I would suggest you send him a PM in the hope you might get a reply.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

5 hours ago, parkside said:

hi did you time the engine back up and was it ok ?

Hi if you have the same problem a small piece of advice is that if you re time the cams and it works you have probably gotten lucky, what normally happens is when the cam timing moves the valves hit the pistons so something has to give, normally the lobes on the cam spin as they are sweated on to a tube at the factory so worse ways you might be in for a couple of new cams and a belt kit.

Steve.