Excessive Q3 oil consumption?

LadyOX1

I have a Q3 SE TFSI petrol on a '15 plate bought new.

From new (when I presume it came with max oil) the oil light came on at just over 10k miles. I  had an A3 before and never went near the oil from one service to the next - but the Audi main dealer tells me that the new 'highly engineered' engine will consume oil - especially in the first 10k miles. I'm concerned as I know that excessive oil consumption has been an issue recently with other Audis.

Has any one else had this issue? 1/2 litre per 625 miles seems a lot to me. 

Welcome to the Forum!

Modern engines do consume oil within the running in period which can be some length of time depending on how it is driven.

To use some oil is not uncommon as long as it isn't producing clouds of blue smoke from the exhaust.

Once the car reaches it's first service then sometimes the oil grade can be changed depending on how the engine has settled in.

Easiest thing to do is just keep a regular eye on the level and maybe keep a log to ensure it isn't using excessive amounts

Cheers   Trevor

• 1 year later...

HI I have a late 2012 Q3 Quattro TFSI which has done 73,000 miles.  I bought it a year ago from a main dealer and have done 10,000 miles this year.  I have had to top the engine up four times with a litre of oil.  I've read loads of articles online about problems with excessive oil consumption.  Its booked in for an oil consumption test and Ive spoken to my local dealer (not the one i bought it from which is three hours away) and Audi UK.  I am told that neither the Q3 model or my engine are affected by the publicised issues and that a litre of oil every 600 miles is normal.   

I've owned BMW's, VW's, Saabs in the past and never had to add oil. Advice/comments please.  Thanks

Hello Rachael,

I'm not sure I can really advise you as such on this,  but perhaps the following comments may be valid:- 

It seems you have added 4 X 1litres of oil to this car during 10,000 miles of use. This obviously equates to 2.5K miles/litre. Some may say they don't add any or little over the same usage, and others might be pleased if theirs 'only' used this amount. 

I think it is a positive move to have the oil consumption assessed, but I may be pessimistic in thinking that VAG will consider 2.5k/little is so called acceptable - indeed you are experiencing only a quarter of the oil consumption they appear to classify as the limit. 

I see you bought it from a main dealer and It seems it was 5 years old when purchased which (unless things have changed) is generally the maximum age vehicles they retail due to the increased potentental for issues. Possibly of no consequence here, but.......

Engines are now built to close tolerances, and owners of new cars are told that they don't need to run them in, and indeed it isn't unusual to run engines for close to 20K before changing the oil! . I my old book, the time taken to treat an engine respectfully in its initial use and to change the oil within 10k miles reaps rewards, but like most if us, we tend to buy secondhand, and are at the mercy of those who have owned the vehicle in its early days.

Good luck in getting this clarified Rachael,

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Gareth.  It appears that Chelmsford Audi from whom I bought it probably didn't put enough oil in after the pre-purchase service! At least I don't have a consumption problem. And now the MMI has failed and have been quoted replacement cost of £2000.  I had high hopes of Audi ownership but sadly I rue the day I ever walked onto an Audi forecourt.  best wishes