OsierA3

We are awaiting delivery of our new SLine A3 saloon. However, we have got a bit spooked by all the comments in the press about the "overly firm" ride with the sports suspension. What has been the experience of others with the SLine suspension?

Too late for us to do that now. We did ask to take a car out with sports suspension, but as usual the showroom didn't have that exact model. We tried a Sportback that was supposed to have a similar ride, but the salesman didn't really understand the full ins and outs of the car (he said that the 'comfort' setting adjusted suspension, which I now know is not true), so I'm not sure we did get to try what we've ended up buying.

Anyway we'll have to see how we find it. Car is scheduled for delivery at the end of the month. Just interested in how others are feeling about driving on SLine sports suspension. If you read some of the reviews they make it sound as though the ride is harder than a cattle truck, and that it is not worth it for the improved handling.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends what you prefer.

I newly have an A3 s-line (not saloon) with standard sports suspension. There ARE various driver modes (which I think affect suspension too?) though I've left it on automatic for now. It's definitely harder than my old Focus Diesel (!) but I like it. Of course that isn't helped by the low profile tires on 18" rims either (which also doesn't isolate road noise so well - but I may just be noticing more as the car is so quiet otherwise).

Only really notice the harder suspension on particularly bad roads when I (and passengers) get moved around a bit more (feels like the car is less 'settled'). I've not felt my bones have been shaken any more than they would if I'd chosen to drive my Ford into pot holes.

I didn't buy the car new, but not regretting I didn't find one of the few available with the sports suspension 'deleted'.

Let us know how you get on... I, for one, am enjoying driving more...