Questions re sat nav, aux in and phone

Spezla

As a newbie on here, I was hoping that somebody would be able to answer a few of the more simple (hopefully) questions I have about my new car.

I recently bought a 2006 Audi A6 2.0 TDI S Line and I am chuffed to bits with it. That being said, I do have a few niggles which I am hope folks on here will be able to answer for me.

Firstly, I can see that there is a button on the centre console which says "TEL". I thought this would mean I could easily connect my phone via bluetooth and use hands free whilst driving - this seems to not be the case. I am constantly told that the service is "unavailable" but is does seem that the infrastructure is there, I just can't seem to suss it out. Can someone please tell me what I need to do, or what I need to buy in order to unlock this feature.

Next is an aux in port. I cannot seem to find one so assume that this is not a feature on this car - but can it be? Is there a way of taking out the stereo and wiring one in the back - I have searched on this forum but cannot find anything definitive.

Finally, the sat nav. I am not particularly techy but I feel I do have a fairly decent grasp on computers etc but I'll be damned if I can figure out how the sat nav works. The sat nav I have is the old style red screen type (I have attached a picture of a similar one I have found online) - I cannot seem to enter full postcodes - can anyone provide a link or user tutorial that might help?

Finally, on the subject of the sat nav, I would love a colour screen to replace the dated looking one I currently have. Is this an easy swap? If so, can someone please provide details.

I am hoping that you'll all look at this and say "what an idiot, here are the answers" as opposed to "tough luck mate, there's nothing you can do about these".

Thanks in advance

Nav.jpg

Great, it's good to know I'm not alone in this.

I've searched for a definitive answer but end up going round in circles - when I do find an appropriate answer, its for a different model or year! Argh!

Hopefully someone on here will be able to help...

I found this information in an earlier post (2013)

The versions on the A6 which do not have nav have the smaller monochrome red screen and four function buttons on the MMI control instead of eight (it will have radio, media, tel, car but missing nav, directory, setup and info. They are also missing the navigation module in the boot. Personally, I find a TomTom does just as good job but the updates cost a fraction of the price! It just doesn't have the 'built in' feel.

I know it doesn't answer your question as to how to work the system but it does seem as though it is now considered old school technology and probably not worth bothering to update, etc.

24 minutes ago, Trevor said:

I found this information in an earlier post (2013)

The versions on the A6 which do not have nav have the smaller monochrome red screen and four function buttons on the MMI control instead of eight (it will have radio, media, tel, car but missing nav, directory, setup and info. They are also missing the navigation module in the boot. Personally, I find a TomTom does just as good job but the updates cost a fraction of the price! It just doesn't have the 'built in' feel.

I know it doesn't answer your question as to how to work the system but it does seem as though it is now considered old school technology and probably not worth bothering to update, etc.

Thanks Trevor.

Mine is indeed the red monochrome screen. I do have the nav button and have managed to plug in my work as a destination which does show it's working - I'm just struggling to enter a simple 6 digit post code - not sure whether this is something to do with having an old disc (which is currently situated in my glove box). It seems a shame to have sat nav (albeit basic) but never be able to use it.

Incidentally, since last looking, I have found a company that does upgrade from the monochrome screen to colour but I'm pretty sure the wife would have me out of the house if I spent £1,000 on it!! http://www.f-knaviexpert.co.uk/product/audi-a6a5a4q7-convert-mmi-basic-plus-to-mmi-high/

It's the same with the phone - I have the "TEL" button - just no idea of how to work it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have actually posted this in another thread but for completeness, I thought I would put it here too.

I've been doing a bit more research and found this video on youtube (posted below) which does show the step by step process of how to install the aux function to your existing cd changer in your glove box. This is part 1 of 5 but it gives you an idea of how it can be done...it looks a right faff in my opinion.

I was hoping it would be easy but for someone like me (the most useless electrician-minded person on earth), this might be a bit too much.

I think what I am going to do is have something like this: http://www.halfords.com/technology/bluetooth-car-kits/bluetooth-car-kits/parrot-mki9200-bluetooth-handsfree-kit-v3 - I know it's not as "factory" as I wanted but it seems to enable you to play music, use your phone etc but the best part - they install it for you!

Hope this helps anybody reading this!

Thanks for posting the video up on here....could be useful for someone who wants to go through the agro of fitting one in.

Seems like a better option with retro-fitting and to be fair, the technology is newer and therefore better as well.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2016 at 1:48 PM, Trevor said:

Thanks for posting the video up on here....could be useful for someone who wants to go through the agro of fitting one in.

Seems like a better option with retro-fitting and to be fair, the technology is newer and therefore better as well.

I agree Trevor - I think that, even if I did get it working, the technology would be outdated now - I think I'll pop in at some point this week and get them to fit it!

On the issue of my sat-nav, in response to myself (!), it is actually really easy to set a destination. I was worried that mine would only let me enter 4 characters (ie not the full postcode) but I have realised that this is fine. I know it might be a daft point to comment on but I'm sure I'm not the only person out there who was struggling!?

If your postcode is LL30 2LP (Llandudno pier in case you were interested!), then you would type in LL30 and then "OK". You will then be presented with a list of all the possible end parts of the postcode - ie Llandudno 1, Llandudno 2, Llandudno 3. If, as above, the next part of the postcode starts with a 2, then you select "Llandudno 2". From here, you select the street name and the house number. I have found that it does have the majority of street names so it's actually not as tricky as I had originally thought.

I'm not sure if more recent versions of the nav discs would remove the need to have to do this but at least this is the resolution for folk who have the same version as I do.

Cheers

• Like 1

So, popped into Halfords today. Parrot bluetooth £159, fitting upwards of £100, wiring £60....Damn!

Not really prepared to spend that much at this stage - back to square 1!

21 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Ouch!  That's a lot of money when you could fit a complete aftermarket head unit with SatNav, Bluetooth, MP3 and Phone connectivity all built in for around £100

Hi Trevor, do you have details of this - ie, how it would work, where I could get it fitted?

Many thanks