who do you insure your pride and joy with?

Hi all, for me it's time to insure my car but my premiums have shot up big time so who do you use and roughly how much please?                                                                                              Im 49 years old  50 in 4 months, full no claims no accidents or claims and quoted nearly £700 and i have been with the same company for 6 years as well nearly doubled in price

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi mick,

ive just had my renewal through from Tesco, at £650, for my 2008 A4 2.0TDI SE, I rang Adrian flux, got my discount from this forum, and another for being a member of the institute of advanced motorists, and they came in at £1050.

you decide.

My one is up for renewal a6c6 3.0 tdi . Got an email from alianz(current price £790)  saying they no longer sell car insurance . Best quote i got was £544 on compare.com

Experience shows that staying with the same company for too long may not be in your premium's best interest. Certainly automatic renewals are a recipe for getting away with increased premiums. OK, if you are disorganised with insurance renewals then yes this method prevents you from being in an uninsured situation, but it will cost you. 

Extra 10 or 15% off sounds attractive, but off what? We had a local builder's merchant who had an annual 33% off sale. Great! until you realised that on the Friday before the sale started, he simply inflated prices by 1/3 ! 

Comparison websites seem to be a good way of sifting through the basic quotes and is always a good starting point, but I have found that if you want the once-norm legal protection and courtesy car etc. then you have to pay extra, so cheap may not always be cheap. 

Alianz no longer doing car insurance? Found out about a year ago that they no longer do household insurance either. 

It may be interesting to note that during the 60s and 70s average car insurance premiums were into the £200plus bracket in our comparatively in the sticks locality. Equivalent to well, well over £1000 in today's money? I am still able to insure what you would call a luxury car for less less than £300, so I guess it has to be admitted that whatever the hike in  premiums, we are better off premium wise than we were.

Kind regards,

Gareth.