New A7 fuel consumption

dy555395

I have the latest A7 272 S Line. I have high fuel consumption on this car, averaging 30mpg. It started at 22mpg average. My previous 245 averaged 45 mpg with 50-55 mpg on a long run. I was told I had to run this car in for 10000 K/6250miles before it settled down. This I have done. I feel now I am been given the run around. I am convinced the car is faulty. The dealer has been very helpful but Audi UK and or Audi Germany will do nothing to correct this problem. This engine is being used in other models, does anyone else have this problem?

Do I now have to seek legal assistance to address this ?

Hi Robert...welcome to the Forum

That's quite a dramatic reduction in MPG and I can understand the statement regarding running the engine in but even so, it should deliver quite a bit more than you are currently achieving.  

Fuel Consumption

EC Urban (mpg)46.3
EC Extra Urban (mpg)56.5
EC Combined (mpg)52.3

Above figures are what Audi claim on their website. 

Could imagine the car needs reprogramming especially in the wake of the emissions scandal.

Let us know how you get on with it

Cheers   Trevor

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Trevor

Today we did a route of just over 40miles on open roads at speeds up to 70mph. My car averaged 27mpg, worse than normal, the previous tank gave just under 32mpg. We the took a brand new car with 67miles on it and this averaged 25 mpg. This was done at Audi UK request. This 272 engine and gearbox combination just does not seem to work. I am so frustrated that the car has to go, but will not replace it with another Audi. I have had nothing but Audi for many years and have a Q5 S Line Plus as well as the A7

What do I do?

Regards Robert

That's quite appalling mpg obtained by a car that is advertising much higher figures. 

The other way forward would be to get it remapped which will pull out the best from the engine and give you much better economy and performance.

It would be a case of finding a tuning company that would not void the manufacturer warranty but it is only a software remap and can always be put back to standard if required.

I have discovered today from a report this A7 TDI is now banded from sale in USA for cheating on emissions and fuel consumption claims. I wonder if this is correct.

Can anyone confirm if this is true or false?

Sherlock I wish I had my previous 245 Black Edition back.

Robert

I recently attended a Motor Trade conference and one of the presentations was on vehicle emissions and engine performance/economy.

One of the slides (which unfortunately I don't have a photo of) highlighted the massive inconsistencies with manufacturer claims for economy.

What was amazing was that it seems all manufacturers are as bad with over-claiming and some were hugely over-exagerated.

Apparently, the claims were made by running the cars on rolling roads but now they have to (in the USA) run them on the road to accurately simulate real driving scenarios....I therefore imagine the figures to now be much lower and more accurate.

You may be able to find an image of the bar graph showing the false claims on the internet.

However, that said....a lot of it comes down to the driving styles, road conditions, traffic, etc which in the UK is appalling to realise a half decent MPG....unlike driving in France for example.

• 1 month later...
On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:24 AM, dy555395 said:

I have the latest A7 272 S Line. I have high fuel consumption on this car, averaging 30mpg. It started at 22mpg average. My previous 245 averaged 45 mpg with 50-55 mpg on a long run. I was told I had to run this car in for 10000 K/6250miles before it settled down. This I have done. I feel now I am been given the run around. I am convinced the car is faulty. The dealer has been very helpful but Audi UK and or Audi Germany will do nothing to correct this problem. This engine is being used in other models, does anyone else have this problem?

Do I now have to seek legal assistance to address this ?

I have the same :-(

• 7 months later...