Audi tfsi 2 litre tfsi Quattro oil usage

Riccardo

Here's my observations about my car I use as a daily driver to work.  (bought august 2015 still learning about the car as have owned less then two years with various repairs done re engine namely bottom part of engine replaced due to oil chain pump failure) so not had a clear run yet:

Around three months ago I gave my car to Audi chingford for a full service after getting it back shortly after (maybe four weeks) the oil light came on to my shock. I panicked as when I checked indeed it was on minimum oil level. I thought I mite have a leak. On further internet research I saw certain audis have an excessive oil usage problem. I contacted Audi uk (who later confirmed mines was not one of the known problem vehicles). I arranged to bring car back to Audi chingford who confirmed it was low and suggested due to new engine parts was probably the cause. They topped it up for me. I spoke to Audi uk who told me my car was within acceptable oil usage parimaters basically he said it was normal to top up every couple of months. Which baffled me a bit as my previous vihicle was a vw 1.8 turbo petrol owned eight years and I did one oil change a year but only drove on weekends for pleasure  

As of month 1st December 2016 the oil light came on. So I've worked out from what audis has said this will be the norm for my car.

I've done 2345 miles or three months since last oil fill up. Conclusion this is what I'm to expect as the norm for this car. I don't know how I feel about that but at least I know where I stand now.  (FYI I topped up with castrol edge 5w-30) 

I found this online:

'note that the Audi specification for the 2.0 engines allows for a litre of oil to be used every 1242 miles, and they will not consider this level of usage to be a fault. This is written in the manual if you look in the section on oil. However, many 2.0 TFSI owners routinely get only around 500-600 miles, which is definitely out of spec.'

and

I found this article below;

https://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/latest-news/audi-uk-bbc-watchdog-oil-consumption-june-2015.html

Audi UK / BBC Watchdog / Oil Consumption – June 2015

Jun 4, 2015

Audi UK is committed to investigating and swiftly resolving any technical issues relating to our cars which are reported to us through our network.

As we have stated previously, a low percentage of older 2.0 TFSI engines fitted to certain models have been exceeding the factory oil consumption tolerance of 0.5 litres per 1,000 kilometres (approx. 620 miles). Changes were made to the production tolerances of the pistons and rings in this engine from mid-2011 onwards, and customers with 2.0 TFSI cars produced after this date should not have any cause for concern.

The comprehensive Audi UK Warranty (3 years/60,000 miles) covering all new Audi vehicles has already resolved the majority of these cases at no cost to the customer. For remaining affected customers with cars that are no longer covered by this warranty, we have a policy in place to resolve issues on a case-by-case basis. This revised policy has been in force nationally since the beginning of the year and applies to new and retrospective cases. Qualification criteria are applied in each individual case to confirm that the vehicle has been serviced in accordance with the owner’s handbook by an Audi Centre or other professional workshop which follows the Audi Service quality standards.

We invite all Audi customers who have any questions or concerns relating to newly discovered or previously reported oil consumption with 2.0 TFSI engines to contact their local Audi Centre. Alternatively, our advisors will be available until 10pm on Thursday 4 June, and thereafter from 8am to 8pm, by calling 0800 0930110<tel:0800%20093%200110>free of charge from landlines*.

Those figures are vastly different and I believe if your consumption does not reduce over time then you would have a case for rectification from the manufacturer.

It's unusual that if your engine has been rebuilt that it is not to the latest standards for the components used (e.g revised piston rings, etc) however, it is most usual for a new engine to consume oil during running in (which can take some time if not being driven for long periods and being worked hard).

I had experienced this with motorbikes in the past and it is quite noticeable when they are run in as to how little oil they consume compared to when they aren't run in. Additionally, the grade of oil changes once the engine has been run in which benefits the engine in the long term.

Usually, the rings don't bed in if not run in properly...years ago you would drive the car gently for a period to break it in. Nowadays, the engine machining tolerances mean that the engine is ready to go from Day 1. In the case of my motorbike...it had done 14000 miles and still not yet run in. It took a period of riding it hard (but properly) for it to bed in properly and not consume oil at an alarming rate. I could then change the grade of the oil as it wasn't escaping down the bores.

In summary, I believe a lot of the problem is with the restricted use of our cars on the UK congested roads, and I do wonder if they have this problem in mainland Europe with their open roads with very little congestion? If a car engine is run in properly it won't use oil unless there is huge wear on the bores/rings or a manufacturing defect (e.g. ring gaps aligned on the thrust side).

It was only the bottom of engine area Audi replaced with new parts due to oil chain pump failure destroying that area of engine.  

But it as I said Audi uk says this current oil consumption is normal. But I mite contact them again maybe. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update I've taken my car to another Audi in Essex to see if they find any problems as a 2nd opinion. At 1st re oil lights they didn't want anything to do with it and told me to bring it back to Audi Chingford but.... I've talked the person into at least investigating my Cliams of oil lights/oil leaking he replied we will see what we can do so I can only take that as a positive that they may or may not find an issue regarding oil in my car. Fingers crossed they find the fault as my warranty ends April 2017 re engine rebuild at Audi Chingford re oil chain pump failure. I even printed and gave Audi Essex a dossier break down of my three oil lights and pictures of the dashboard warnings and underneath the car what looked to me like oil patches. 

• Like 1