Audi S4 b6 / b7

bbmcomputersolutions

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and was wondering if you could please advise;

I currently have a Boxster S and i am contemplating getting an audi s4 either b6 or b7 however I know absolutely jack about them, is there anything I should be looking for? any common faults etc? I've heard some about chain rattle on these but I don't know too much?!

Any advice would be absolutely super!!

Thanks peeps!

Hi...and welcome to the Forum

I hear the chains are an issue but if you find one that has had them replaced then that's a bonus, if not, maybe worth getting them done for peace of mind.

Here's some info from Wikipedia giving an overview of the S4   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_S4

Let us know how you get on with your purchase

Cheers  Trevor

• 6 months later...

I bought a b6 s4 2 years ago and I had to replace the timing chain tensioners and a few other bits like steering rack and the bill soon mounted up to more than I expected, I got an Audi master to do the work ( daft I know) but now with the exception of a convenience Ecu I've got a car that will do another 120k. They are a spellbinding car the power combined with the Quattro is so safe and sure footed. If you're still thinking of one besides the maintenance they're awesome n well worth any Audi hiccups. 

• 3 years later...

Hi. I’m new to this forum. Hope everyone is keeping half sane during mad times.

i have a b6 s4 saloon with just over 90k miles. Immaculate inside/out. Has always been maintained & looked after well, serviced twice a year up until other commitments took over the finances. The s4 has been garaged & not been fired up in nearly two years. I’m very wary of simply attaching battery & putting fuel in then starting it up in case I damage engine. I have no mechanical skills so am asking your experts out there what best procedures to take for a safe start up. Thanks in advance, Richie

i

21 hours ago, Richie123 said:

Hi. I’m new to this forum. Hope everyone is keeping half sane during mad times.

i have a b6 s4 saloon with just over 90k miles. Immaculate inside/out. Has always been maintained & looked after well, serviced twice a year up until other commitments took over the finances. The s4 has been garaged & not been fired up in nearly two years. I’m very wary of simply attaching battery & putting fuel in then starting it up in case I damage engine. I have no mechanical skills so am asking your experts out there what best procedures to take for a safe start up. Thanks in advance, Richie

i

Cheers for that Steve.

tank virtually empty anyway, it was more the mechanic side I was worried about in case of the oil congealing in engine and not lubricating properly when I fire it up. I’m dreading the awful sound of a destroyed V8.

cheers

Hello Richie,

It’s good that you are concerned, and seeking advice.

To help further, it would be helpful to have an idea of how long the oil has been in the car - we know the car has been standing for almost two years, but.....  The answer to this might influence whether it would be prudent to change it before trying to start it, but changing it come with its pitfalls. 

If it were mine, I think I would be making sure the oil and water are to the correct levels battery fully charged, putting a couple of gallons of fresh fuel in together with 1/4 bottle of Redex (in first). I would then remove the fuse feeding the fuel pump, and crank the engine over (it won’t start) for about 10 seconds. Refit the fuse, switch ignition on and off for a few seconds - say 3 times- to ensure the fuel system is primed, the attempt to start as normal. Leave it run for a few minutes once started, but treat it to an oil and quality filter change before use. 

It will also be necessary to renew the brake fluid before use, and of course have the tyres inspected, since standing on one section for two years will not have done them any good. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. Continue to use Redex in the recommended dosage for the next 1000 miles. 

Many thanks for info magnet. Very much appreciated.

will do all this over weekend hopefully.

will let you know outcome....hopefully not a noisy expensive sounding grinding noise followed by many tears....

thanks again good man.

Good Father’s Day to you Gareth. Hope all is well at your side?

Quick one for you’re knowledge...where and which is fuel pump fuse??!! Google of no use to my questioning.

thanks in advance.

Hello and thanks Ritchie.

Sorry, but I’ve no idea on your model, but it will say in the car’s handbook or a correct year Haynes if you have either. 

If in doubt, it shouldn’t make a significant difference. The idea was that by cranking the engine over without it starting, it should get some oil circulating around before it fires up, but in reality, what you are doing by starting it should not be any worse than restarting after  draining the oil and changing the filter. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.