Engine cuts out whilst driving

PaulFurlong

Good morning all,

just posting on behalf of my wife as she has just had an issue with her 09 Audi TT 2.0 TDI.

Whilst driving in a normal manner through town, the engine died suddenly, no juddering to indicated that it stalled, just completely cut out. she tried to start the engine again to no avail. she then removed the key from the ignition, re-inserted it and the car started fine only for the issue to happen about 10 mins later.

i took the car to work this morning with no issues, as she was afraid that it would cut out on a round-about, i think that she just wanted to drive my S6, but hey ho. 

has anybody experienced anything like this before/have any ideas about a possible cause, i thought that it might be something as simple as the battery in the key fob is dying so the immobiliser is cutting the engine as it isn't receiving a signal.

any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

regards

Paul 

Hi Paul,

It sounds like a Crankshaft Position Sensor which generates a signal to let the ECU know the engine is running and allows it to fuel, etc.  No signal, engine does not run.

When the sensor fails, the engine will start up after a while when the sensor resistance has returned to normal (cooled down) and then off again when it heats up and cuts the engine.

Worth getting it scanned to confirm this though

Let us know how you get on with it

Cheers  Trevor

Right, drove her car for about 45 mins last night, no issues what so ever, so the only thing that i can think of is that my wife is a mong and due to the close ratio of the gearbox, she has gone from 1st to 4th and stalled the thing.

thanks for the help and advice though!

regards 

Paul

• 4 years later...

Hi Paul/Trevor, I know this conversation is old but im also having a nightmare with the same problem with my 09 TT , its done this oh 6/7 times now,  complete nightmare, & the worse thing is Audi xant fix it & are saying that there is nothing wrong with the car, unbelievable,  this happens around every 4 weeks 😢,  can anyone help ! Please 

15 hours ago, Repunsal said:

Hi Paul/Trevor, I know this conversation is old but im also having a nightmare with the same problem with my 09 TT , its done this oh 6/7 times now,  complete nightmare, & the worse thing is Audi xant fix it & are saying that there is nothing wrong with the car, unbelievable,  this happens around every 4 weeks 😢,  can anyone help ! Please 

Any fault codes? Sounds like Audi do t want to find a fault.