Vote your favourite Driving Road

Trevor

So what's your favourite Driving Road?

Is it in the UK, Europe, States....where is that 'must drive before I die' road?

Maybe it's the Amalfi Coast Road, the Stelvio Pass, the A3 with the Hindhead tunnel...or do you have one we don't know about?

We want to hear about which journey brings you immense pleasure when you drive it...and what would be your favourite car to do the drive.

TomTom5 (Custom).jpg

i drove the amalfi coast road a few years ago and have to say although the scenery was breathtaking the roads were worse than the potholed roads in england.

also, i drove it in a citroen xsara picasso which woldn't have been my ideal choice of car to do it in  lol

I've heard that the roads are quite awful around there...not much money in the south of Italy which apparently has led to the roads becoming substandard.

Shame about the Citroen...would have been a lot better in your TT 

• 4 weeks later...

Inverness to Fort William along the side of Loch Ness. Fantastic views finishing below Ben Nevis and real driving roads. Doesn't matter if you go along the North or South bank, both are good

Sounds like a fantastic road to drive Spuggy ...will look up some piccies of it shortly.

What time of year did you drive it as i've heard you've got to get there around the right time of year otherwise its a bit hostile (weather wise, not the locals)?

I went late April. If you drive along the north bank it's not twisting but lots of long sweeping turns interspersed with little villages. The south bank has more turns and clearer views as it's along the bottom of the mountains and north bank is more tree lined it means you don't get distracted looking for Nessie

• 8 months later...

If your up doing Inverness to Fort William  it would be nice to take a trip over the Applecross pass its a great road but not for the novice driver. Ive had the pleasure of this road a few times but sadly no pictures as its normally involved work. Im planning on doing it with the A4 at some point in the future. 

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, Adbro said:

Most of the roads around Snowden are breathtaking. Trip to Ben Nevis and Scaffel Pike awaits soon so I'm gonna try Spuggy' route

Funny you mention the 3 mountains my m8 has just finished The 3 Peaks Challenge,rather him than me lol

Yeah Paul one mountain at a time for me. Snowdon was great but tiring. All three in 24 hours is ridiculous. Some great views on the way and whilst doing the walk though.

• 3 months later...

So it's raining at the mo and at last I have some spare time... yes I must agree the roads around Ben Nevis are stunning. Seems every few seconds of travel is a picture from another planet. I could mention roads but in reality every road we traveled on to and around Fort William is so far away from the every day midlands scenery of my normal. 

We spent 9 hours traveling to Fort William in August and had 2 nights stay. The journey was with one goal... walk to the top of Ben Nevis. Both journey and climb was blessed with the best summer sun. The only issue we had was leaving Scotland so soon. So hopefully a return awaits next year. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...