Alarm keeps going off and boot symbol on dash

Jamieking86

Hi guys, I bought my first Audi 4 months ago, it's been perfect, up until last night. At 3am in the morning the Alarm goes off, frightened me to death thinking somebody was trying to get in it, but after looking around everything seemed locked and secure etc, so thought nothing of it. Went back to bed, 5 mins later it goes off again, and then repeatedly for around 3 hours. One time i check the dash and it says the boot is open, but when i checked it was shut properly, but i opened it and shut it again firmyl just to make sure. In the end i had to keep the car unlocked as i had to be up for work and was far too frustrating. Today we go to halfords to check the battery, the battery only had 60 amps, which should be 240 i think? So we bought a new battery, got home, 30 mins later the alarm starts going again for no reason. Extremely peeved off now as i've just spent £85 on a new battery for no reason. I ring my friend who's a mechanic and take it in, told him what as going on and the problem etc, said he'd look at it. He phones me later and says he can't find anything wrong with it. He said if the boot is just on it's latch then that can cause the car to think somebody is trying to get in, but i knew it was shut properly. He said see how it goes, if it persists bring it back. So took it home, literally 10 mins later the alarm sets off again, i unlock the car (to turn off the alarm) then go to lock it, it's locking but the indicators aren't flashing like they should when I usually lock it. I noticed they don't flash unless the boot is open, or on the latch, and now i can fully confirm the boot was 100% fully locked. So i've now taken it back to my mechanic friend who will look at it tomorrow for me but on the way the boot light came on, but the boot was fully secured shut. Question is does anybody know what can be causing this? A possible electrical fault thinking the boot is open when it's not? Also the rear wiper washers don't work, and haven't since i bought the car. I told my mechanic friend, and when we tried them their and then, their was a leak on the arms of the boot? He said that's where all the electrical wires are but are usually fully sealed, but said he will check it out tomorrow when he has time. I've googled this and a few people have said it could be the siren which has leaked acid all over the circuit board or something causing it to alarm? But then what about the boot symbol? Apologies for the essay but i wanted to make everything clear. Thanks

Hi Jamie

Sorry for the late reply, because this was 15 hours ago has anything else happend in this time? also if the seal around the boot has corroded and water (it also being freezing temperature out) is going onto the wires and coursing the alarm to go off. The Warning light might also be due to the wiring issue too. 

15 hours ago, Jamieking86 said:

siren which has leaked acid all over the circuit board

this has been an issue for the A4 (like mine B5 2000 plate) but wasn't aware of this happening on a newer model.

Keep us up to date with whats happening, be interesting to see what the issue was. thanks

Bradley

Hi Bradley,

thanks for your reply. Nothing else has happened as i left it in the garage overnight and the mechanic is going to look at it today. I researched more into the problem and read that the water leaking from the rear wiper washers can get into the microswitch on the boot lock? Which can cause the boot to think it's open which sets off the alarm. So to take it apart, dry the water out and squirt some WD40 on it? I told my friend that and he said he did that last night and so far so good, but i've asked him to keep the car until later today to make sure the alarm doesn't go off again.

Hi Jamie

Good to hear the issue is getting fixed and all going well, like I said it has been very wet and frosty out lately so probably been affecting it, keep me up to date to see what the actually issue was, then again the microswitch on the boot lock sounds promising. Very annoying issue though ;(

Regards

Bradley

Hi Jamie...welcome to the Forum

On Volkswagens the same fault occurs and it is always the boot switch suffering from water ingress from the leaking washer hose.

Hope that its sorted now then

Cheers  Trevor

On 25/01/2017 at 8:45 PM, Juggati said:

Hello Jamie, I had this problem intermittently, did you get it sorted? was it water through the wiper seals?

Hi Juggati, yes in the end it was the boot lock which was full of water due to the leaking rear washer pipe. We took the lock out, dried it, sealed the hole in the washer pipe and it's been fine ever since. Hope this helps and hope you get yours sorted soon. Thanks for your help guys.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Hi I’m having trouble with my Audi A3 tsfi 2009 with the alarm going off and boot showing it’s open. Any body got any advice to get the thing sorted as I’m up and down every ten minutes 

thank you. 

• 2 years later...

Hi guys, I bought my first Audi 4 years ago, it's been perfect, up until two night before. I saw my car alarm bleeping , didn't know the reason. Today  At 12 mid night in the morning the Alarm goes off, frightened me to death thinking somebody was trying to get in it, but after looking around everything seemed locked and secure etc, so thought nothing of it. Its always my neighbours gets affected , unfortunately my relation with them is not great . Always something happens . They have children too , so i don't say its their fault. Its my car fault. It happens only on frosty night . Went to kwikfit , they want proper appointment for it , nothing near by. I don't know much about this till now. Sorry for my neighbours . Dint know where to park the car as well ? Any easy solution to get better ? 

Hello Poorna.

Thanks for being in touch.

’ Frosty nights…’ may be the clue here.

Carefully peel back the rubber covering on the harness which runs from the body into the boot/tailgate, and inspect all wires within this section. This a favourite location for wires to fracture, due to continued opening/closing - particularly in cold weather where the harness becomes less pliable (frosty night!)

If that is ok, then you need to remove the inside plastic covering from the boot/tailgate and inspect all connections. The effect of non working rear washers, and general water ingress is often associated with troubles in this area.

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 1/17/2017 at 5:49 PM, Jamieking86 said:

Hi guys, I bought my first Audi 4 months ago, it's been perfect, up until last night. At 3am in the morning the Alarm goes off, frightened me to death thinking somebody was trying to get in it, but after looking around everything seemed locked and secure etc, so thought nothing of it. Went back to bed, 5 mins later it goes off again, and then repeatedly for around 3 hours. One time i check the dash and it says the boot is open, but when i checked it was shut properly, but i opened it and shut it again firmyl just to make sure. In the end i had to keep the car unlocked as i had to be up for work and was far too frustrating. Today we go to halfords to check the battery, the battery only had 60 amps, which should be 240 i think? So we bought a new battery, got home, 30 mins later the alarm starts going again for no reason. Extremely peeved off now as i've just spent £85 on a new battery for no reason. I ring my friend who's a mechanic and take it in, told him what as going on and the problem etc, said he'd look at it. He phones me later and says he can't find anything wrong with it. He said if the boot is just on it's latch then that can cause the car to think somebody is trying to get in, but i knew it was shut properly. He said see how it goes, if it persists bring it back. So took it home, literally 10 mins later the alarm sets off again, i unlock the car (to turn off the alarm) then go to lock it, it's locking but the indicators aren't flashing like they should when I usually lock it. I noticed they don't flash unless the boot is open, or on the latch, and now i can fully confirm the boot was 100% fully locked. So i've now taken it back to my mechanic friend who will look at it tomorrow for me but on the way the boot light came on, but the boot was fully secured shut. Question is does anybody know what can be causing this? A possible electrical fault thinking the boot is open when it's not? Also the rear wiper washers don't work, and haven't since i bought the car. I told my mechanic friend, and when we tried them their and then, their was a leak on the arms of the boot? He said that's where all the electrical wires are but are usually fully sealed, but said he will check it out tomorrow when he has time. I've googled this and a few people have said it could be the siren which has leaked acid all over the circuit board or something causing it to alarm? But then what about the boot symbol? Apologies for the essay but i wanted to make everything clear. Thanks

I had the same problem, alarm going off through the night , tailgate open warning, wiper and washer intermitantly working, so went on some foums and they are very helpful, so i feel i should help others with my remedy.

Took the tailgate cover off ( quit easy )  and straight away see the damp and corrosion, water dripping from the motor, the connection had come loose, found the 'o' ring in the hose was dislodged, put the 'o' back in the bottom of the washer connector, the plug on the lock was very corroded as well ( this connects the central locking ) so can understand the alarm going off.

I bit the bullet and got a new motor from Euro carparts £ 90 ish ( part number attached )  and some contact cleaner £95  alll in all, assembly was 45 mins, and fingers crossed all is ok.

Hope this helps others.

Thank you all.

20220121_171413.jpg

• Like 1