Hi. Posdible new A3 owner

Pitstop

Hi all

Just signed up as looking to get an A3 for my wife. Currently have an Evoque Dynamic and an old (2008) Golf 1.9 diesel.  Had the Evo for over a year and it's a nice car but wifey has thought from day one that it's 'too flashy'. Anyway, long story short, the Evoque sits on our drive all week while she goes to work in the Golf. Too juicy, too flashy, too big to park, too frightened of getting a door dink etc. Etc... Mind you, we do use it at weekends when we take the dog out!

Now looking to replace the Evoque with a nice A3 that can be used as her daily driver but I'm a bit confused about models. What's the 8L,P and V models? What we are looking for is an economical 5 door, hatchback, manual gearbox and preferably with leather seats and a few toys etc. but NOT hard suspension/low profile tyres and rock hard bucket seats - had a 2.0 Golf GTTDI like that and it wasn't pleasant to drive.. Would prefer a petrol engine for a change - last 5 cars have been diesels and we only do around 8,000 miles per year but not opposed to diesel. When we sell the Evoque we will have a budget at least £25K but would prefer to spend a lot less and then get an older 4WD for use as the weekend dog carrier! Could I get something specced above for around the £15K mark - don't want her getting all precious about parking it up!  Any common problems to look out for regarding particular engine/gearbox combinations? Anything else to be aware of? 

Thanks

Hi Pitstop

Welcome to the forum!

The A3 is a great car! Small and agile, have you thought of an A3 qautto? 4WD :)

Love the evoque, great looking car, can see why your wife wouldn't want to use it Alot though, always need a "run around" car if you have around nicer car in the family.

I'm afraid I'm not sure on the 8lp and v model that you're talking about.

Any issues just check the A3 part of the forum and that should give you Alot of information, people.who know more will hopefully reply back with me info :)

Regards

Bradley

Thanks, but even the Evoque is not really used off road so I'll be staying away from 4WD.

A bit more reading on here and I've discovered what the 8l, p and v mean. It's the year range! At least I know I'll be looking for an 8V model year 2013 onwards. 

Nex question, what'd this COD (Cylinder on demand) engine? Does it run on three cylinders and then on four when you put your foot down? Sounds wierd - any problems with that? 

Ah okay, I see what that means now too haha.

Yeah if you're not going to use the 4WD no point having it even though it makes for safer driving during winter time like frosty times.

And as you said what COD is yes, it's more fuel efficient, I haven't come across any issues really with this but then again I haven't done too much research into it, but from what I've seen is a pretty good response to it.

Regards

Bradley

• 4 years later...
On 1/23/2017 at 12:17 PM, Trevor said:

Hi Steve...welcome to the Forum

Good to have you onboard and keep us updated on your purchasing decision

Cheers  Trevor

p.s. I'm with Brad-B5 on the Evoque...great car!

Thanks. 4 years later and I’m back again! 
Right, we're at the point of purchase so would really appreciate some quick advice. The sister in law is selling her A3 (that’s what made the wife notice A3's in the first place). Going to have a drive in it this afternoon - I realise it may have hard suspension!

It’s a 66 plate 2017 car in metallic grey. 34,000 miles, always serviced at main dealer, she’s had it nearly three years, it’s a 5 door 1.4 Black edition S Line model. Any good? Is this an 8V model? Is this a facelift car or on the cusp of a changeover - sorry, don’t know too much about these. Oh, she said if we want it we can have it for whatever WBAC value it at so that seems fair enough. This is it. Any info on these would be great. Do these have the COD engine? Any common problems with them? This is it:

344A107A-79AB-4EE6-9190-6B79F744EFF9.jpeg

Hi and welcome, I have something similar to the one you bought except it's an auto. I was very undecided about the 'S' line, being concerned the lower suspension and larger wheels would give the car a harsh ride, particularly on some of the roads around here. Pleased to say the ride is perfectly OK and the bottomed off steering wheel is a good move. Hope you enjoy.