£43 for a screw!!!!!

Miguelito

Hello all.

Recently one of the screws which holds up the string from the parcel shelf to the side of the Q3 I drive broke. So I phone Audi. To get a replacement for this screw costs £43 as it is apparently not available as an individual item. Instead I have to buy a completely new parcel shelf, including two new screws. Audi customer service were even worse in dealing with the issue. I despair. Does anybody know how to take this forward? Who do I talk to to get something changed about this completely crazy policy.. Its ironic, when Audi bleat on about their green credentials, how they come to be selling grossly redundant packages, of which 99+% is not required.

Either reply to mrjeffes@gmail.com or start a thread.

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi Mie

OMG! that ridiculous, Try seeing if someone is parting out your car somewhere and get the part from there, would most likely be so much more cheaper ;) 

• Like 1

Hi Mie...welcome to the Forum

Seems crazy but a revised parcel shelf is available because the original was obviously flawed.

Me personally, I would just replace the screw with a suitable replacement

Cheers  Trevor

Well, I contacted Audi customer services, who finally got back to me 3 weeks later, only to be told that I had to pay £43 for the screw. Company policy. Line manager's contact details withheld for security reasons! So can't even take complaint beyond lowest customer service level..... 

I really doubt if the original parcel shelf design was flawed. It is after all just a bit of pressed "material" with a bit of string attached. I think more likely it's just gross stupidity on behalf of Audi, who can't be bothered to keep something like a particular screw as a separate item.

• Like 1

Does it take a special made screw only from Audi there's no way of getting another one somewhere else :s but yes not the best, but they want to make sure everything is 100% together I guess

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mei,

I would guess the emphasis on your complaint is not not being able to get a replacement screw from another source as Trevor suggests, but the fact that if you choose to get it from Audi, then they force you to buy associated bits which you don't want - and that is a fair point. The hard fact is that car manufacturers supply spare parts and have to stock these parts pending a request from someone. They also have to have an individual part number for every sub part and yes, I agree it would be great if every nut, bolt, washer, screw, fastener was available as a separate item. However, the system to indentify each of these would simply result in it being uneconomical for them to stock the part - so part unavailable! 

I applaud your attempts, but I fear you aren't going to get anywhere with this, and you just as well wander down to your local hardware store and buy one, and take satisfaction from supporting a local business. 

I am not pro Audi with this - having the same issues with a broken centre arm rest clip on an A3. You've guessed it - you have to buy the arm rest top! Still nice cars though.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 2