High miles Audi A5?

koden

Hi. Looking to by Audi A5 Sportback. Actually I was looking for different car in my price range, but than I got A5 on my screen, and that car is in my price range but miles are high. I mean 175k mile. Is it too much for that car and should I bother to look at it? I see many A5 with even higher miles. The one I'm looking at is have one owner from new and full service history, and loads of extras. Outside car looking pretty good. Interior is looks like new, I mean can't see any wear on seats or anything else. Thanks for any suggestions and thoughts.

Hi Koden

Welcome to the forum!

175k Miles on these car's arrn't really much to worry about they are pretty good reliable engines, but I'd still keep an open mind and keep an eye out for a lower milage but I have seen someone with a 2013 plate A5 with 500k!! still going strong (but then again motorway driving is better on an engine) still amazing :)

Regards

Bradley

what engine is it? i typically save myself loads of dosh buying high milers.

i got a bargain 530d MSport with circa 150k on it, my old PD passat had 140k on it, my current Audi that i bought at xmas had 145k on it. all lovely motors and gave me no problems .

• Like 1

I'm of the same opinion as Bradley and Darren on this, but the only thing I would  add is that if you buy a high mileage vehicle you must buy it on condition and price. Both are important, since a high mileage (even full service history) poorly looked after car will be very undesirable when you come to resell it. Equally a nice condition high mileage car must be bought cheap - as Darren has- since again when you have to resell it, the only thing that will attract will be the price you sell it at compared with the price of an average mileage example. 

My last bit of advice would be never to fall in love with it before you buy it!  This has the potential for serious health implications on your wallet! 

Love it only after you have bought it and used it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 5 years later...

Hello I am looking at a audi a5 slide Tfsi 2.0 liter with 147.000 on the clock. I would like to know how high in mileage can the tfsi go as its a petrol compared to a deisel. And when will it accure problems? Or shall I stay clear of high milage petrol cars?

On 10/1/2022 at 3:34 AM, Jam070 said:

Hello I am looking at a audi a5 slide Tfsi 2.0 liter with 147.000 on the clock. I would like to know how high in mileage can the tfsi go as its a petrol compared to a deisel. And when will it accure problems? Or shall I stay clear of high milage petrol cars?

Key questions whats the service history on the car and why is the owner getting rid of it?

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 3:34 AM, Jam070 said:

If possible, give it a scan to see if any codes pop up.

Also give it a good test drive, get the engine warm.

Hello - whoever you are.

Sorry to start off on a negative note , but you give us very little to go on - no name, no location, no year of the car, no info on service history, no MOT history, number of owners, and last change of owner, who (company?) has put this vehicle to the mileage covered? Whether you have requested a service history print out via. an Audi dealer-? 
High mileage vehicles can be better than ultra low mileage in some respects, but frequency of servicing become paramount. 

l
Again with apologies, but do the homework and at least give us something to advise on! 
We do like to help on here, but you really do need to help yourself, to help us. 

Just in passing:- I’ll quote the outspoken Dewar ( of Dewar whisky) ‘ If we are put on this earth to help one another, what are the others doing to help themselves?’ 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I guess we are here trying to help, at anyone’s beck and call, and I think Steve Q’s welcoming responses to new posters - ‘we are a helpful and friendly bunch’ - and I genuinely think we try to uphold that.

However, to post and ask for advice, but never even return to read it, let alone leave some acknowledgement, is taking people for granted, and frankly rude - Genuine reasons for not returning, accepted. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1