coolant leak

skyranger

Hi all,

I am new to this forenamed have read some of the other information on this subject.

I have an A3 2.0TDi  2012 which is loosing coolant. I think I can see where it is leaking from....I can see and smell the coolant "steam" on the LHS of the engine as you look at it . It is a LHD Audi.

I will try and remove the black plastic engine cover tomorrow to see where it is. I will try and include some photos if possible. I am not sure exactly where it is coming from, but is above the timing belts towards the rear of the engine. 

Any help gratefully received.

IMG_3123.JPGIMG_3124.JPGIMG_3123.JPG

IMG_3125.JPG

Hi Sean...welcome to the Forum

I'm sorry but I can't see any coolant leak...probably my poor eyesight !

If you can take some more pictures when the engine cover is removed then it may show something there.

Cheers  Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the quick reply. No It's not your eyesight. I cannot actually see the leak. Yesterday, when I ran the car for about 15mins, I could see a very small amount of vapour coming from this vicinity ( marked with xxxxxxx) I do not know my way around modern cars so not sure what these components are.

I have heard EGR and water pump mentioned as possible causes but cannot easily locate them. I will go under the bonnet again and try and get some pics with the cover removed

Sean

Sorry, didn't know the relevance of the 'xxxxxx' but I can now see it is in the area of the water pump so this may be the source of the vapour.

If this is the case then you'll need to replace the water pump along with the cambelt...which is probably about due for replacement.

Just taken the cover off - does not reveal much.

Have booked it in with AUDI next week. They can pressurise the system and put the "sniffer" on it. 

Maybe a new water pump - is that expensive ?

Car is 5yrs old and only done about 55000 miles - is this too early for a cam belt change or is it easy to do whilst the water pump is being replaced ?

Many thanks

Sean

It's getting very close to the replacement interval so to replace the water pump at the same time is the best all round solution with very little cost for labour to do the pump as well.

Hi Trevor,

I have just left the car at the Audi garage. A quick inspection and the technician suspected the water pump. Reasonably large leak as there was not much pressure in the reservoir.

They are going to confirm this afternoon. If it is the pump, they will do the belt at the same time ( as you suggested )

Just holding my breath now for the bill !

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

I'm having similar issues. I have a 2005 Audi A3 TDI. Car leaked coolant around 200ml especially in traffic. Put K-seal which stopped the leak however after a few months noticed small leak on right hand side of engine without loss in reservoir tank. 

Anyone have any idea where leak is coming from and how to fix.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DSC_0240.JPG

• 2 years later...

Hi my a3  53 plate 168,000 miles had leak warning came on after 4 - 5 miles I topped it up few times but got tired So I bought the little blue bottle it worked instantly but after 12 weeks she's leaking again only worse bought second one but it didn't work this time round every light on the screen came on and the horn was on constantly bit embarrassing when at the local store I knew it was my car but every one in the shop were staring through the windows I kept mum !!  got served and left but it got quite as I drove home I'm underneath it now searching  temp never got into danger zone but I only use it round town any way.

• 2 years later...

Hello 

I have Audi A3 turbo convertible, I have a cooliant leak garage said would cost £750 to repair abs take 6 hours, but this still might not fix problem with heating. The air is coming out but no heat.