3.2 V6 Idle Issue

DAVE-IV

Hello guys, 

Just got myself a 2004 A3 3.2 V6 with 102,000 miles, DSG. It's a great fun little car but it has an idle issue, it idles really erratically making it a nightmare to drive / reverse at low revs.
Is this a common problem? I'm no mechanic but I'm not too bad with the spanners so looking for advice so I can try and rectify the problem myself so any so any help will be greatly received.

Also looking at getting a working version of VAGCOM for not stupid money if anyone can share a link please?

Many Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave

I would start with running some cleaning additive through the fuel system and also try some cleaner through the intake as well.

Companies like Terraclean do a great service to clean out the soot and carbon build-up in the engine and have it running like new for not a lot of money.  http://www.terraclean.co.uk/

Lots of equipment available out there...take your pick    http://www.audiownersclub.com/parts-search-results/All/Vehicle_Parts_and_Accessories/131090/vagcom

Cheers  Trevor

Thanks for the advice, it definetly needs scanning hence why I'd like to get a work version on VAGCOM :) and try myself.
It's am odd one really but I don't think it's the chain (or hope it isn't)........If I start the car and don't touch the throttle it'll tick over fine, if I touch the throttle and then let it idle it is rough and will even die on occasions.

Thanks

Dave

• 3 years later...

Same thing has happened to me just bought a 3.2 v6 Quattro and having exactly same idling issue just wondering did you manage to find problem what was the cause any help would be greatly appreciated 

Hi Steve yea I’ve had diagnosed came up as vacuum pump changed this for one from TPS vag version cleared codes off and still has same issue I’m going to check all the breather pipes it seems to be air problem 🤞🏽 and hopefully not stretched chain I’ve been reading about 

On 7/1/2020 at 11:18 AM, C-loc22 said:

Hi Steve yea I’ve had diagnosed came up as vacuum pump changed this for one from TPS vag version cleared codes off and still has same issue I’m going to check all the breather pipes it seems to be air problem 🤞🏽 and hopefully not stretched chain I’ve been reading about 

Fingers crossed for you, please keep us posted on how you get on 👍 

Cheers

Steve