Ollie's 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Avant Quattro 190

Ollierockk

Hi guys,

I'm starting this thread more as a document for myself than anything else but would appreciate any comments/advice along the way with my car.

I bought this car on Friday so only had it a few days now, today was the first time I had a chance to get stuck in so I decided to tackle the interior. It wasn't tired by any means it just hadn't had a good old clean for a while. So I took the seats out, gave everything a good wipe down and general clean and replaced them once complete. Pics to follow. I haven't tackled the exterior as yet but can't wait to as it's in fantastic condition and think it will come up really well...

The issues I know about and need to correct are the two front wings needing to be replaced soon (very minor rust starting to form) and the Turbo will need changing soon as it is whining. Still pulls strong but is making a noise.

On the drive home (Birmingham to Bognor) I had the 'low oil pressure light' come up, it came on after 20 miles, I pulled over, checked the oil level (it's just had a service) to which it was all fine so carried on, the light was off when I re-started the car but again after around 20 miles it came back on. Again stopped and turned the car off, I set off straight away this time and again after 20 miles it came back on again. The car didn't drive any differently at all or show any signs of no oil getting to the engine on my 160 mile trip back. Could it be a faulty sensor? I have read about the crappy oil pickups on these to that could be worth checking...

Anyway, here are some pictures, what do you think?

Ollie

17861511_10211018339868983_6401064564900463524_n.jpg

17883573_10211018341629027_819679624799221720_n.jpg

17884204_10211018343509074_1175944056913901631_n.jpg

17951670_10211018342389046_8782228801477023971_n.jpg

She looks really straight on the outside and just run in on the inside. What a nice car.

regarding the oil light, for how much a sensor would cost I would start with that first. It's amazing on more modern cars the sensors fail giving us heart attacks and the actual feature they are monitoring is just fine. Isn't a yellow light or a red light that comes on?

however, in the mean time don't drive too far in her just in case it is right. You might be needing a new pump. Replacing an oil pump is cheaper than an engine.

• Like 1

I have just looked at several threads on th UK-mkIVs site and 9/10 times it seems to be the sensor. One guy said use a genuine oil filter. Hope this helps

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies and the research Dan, it's like anything I suppose. Start with 1 thing and go from there. I'll let you know how it goes 👍 

10:1 it's the sensor!!

if your really worried, use an additive like ZX1. Really good product to help protect the insid e if the engine.

good luck

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Ollierockk what was the outcome of the oil pressure fault. I have just bought one and the oil warning came on, so I checked the oil level and was all good. Just wondering if it cured your problem 👍

Hello Adam, 

Sorry to hear you are in difficulties, and I think it’s fair to say you are unlikely to gain any information from the original poster, since he joined the forum almost 3 years ago, posted his problem, had a response, and last visited the forum some 8 days later!

If your car were mine, I would be getting the actual oil pressure tested to give you a better indication of whether it is a sensor issue or whether the car is indeed suffering from low oil pressure. This test must be carried out following at least a good 5 mile run to ensure the engine oil is up to temperature (not just the coolant being up to temperature). Oil levels (within sensible limits) have little to do with pressure. 

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth.