JonnyShep

Right. So I bought my car brand new on February 1st. Car is fine but the problem I'm having is, according to everywhere i should be getting in the region of 57mpg (combined) and around 900miles to a tank...

i am averaging 30mpg and I have done 1900 miles and filled up four and a half times since purchasing the car.

went back to wearside audi on Friday to be told this is normal in a new car but I never had this problem in previous cars or anyone I know has ever had this either! 

What would people suggest? Audi have said they'll plug in a diagnostic machine but can't see this solving or showing anything up? 

Hi Jonathan...welcome to the Forum

Maybe the emissions recall has screwed things up...see posts in recalls section of this forum.

Sometimes also it takes a bit of time for the engine to loosen up which can use more fuel and also driving styles which you may need to adapt from previous cars

Let us know how you get on with the dealer

Cheers Trevor

Thanks for your reply Trevor. The most I've been able to achieve so far on a motorway is 38mpg, and it is a deisel. 

My driving still isn't iratic or silly I drive normally at a steady 65-75mph. 

The dealer said something about engine needing to loosen up but every one I know with a new car has been getting near enough the advertised MPG? 

Welcome to the forum Jonny :) 

sorry to hear your predicament. I'm assuming you have the 2.0tdi? 

If so, my dad has the 2.0tdi Vw Passat (66 plate) and he is getting into the high 40s low 50s with mpg but he has the car computer set to the eco mode. 

he was getting those figures pretty much straight away. To put your mpg into comparison my 2002 a6 2.5tdi is getting in the mid 30s for mpg. 

I would deffo get Audi to have a look and plug the car into a diagnostic machine 

cheers 

Steve 

Hi Jonny, 

Mine is also 2.0 TDi (190 Auto) - Just over a year old with 13k on the clock. I have to drive quite unsympathetically to get as low as 35 average but do not normally get above 50 on long M-way runs. Normal for me is around 43.

I have not noticed that much difference between running the Car in Eco through to Dynamic mode although when set in Eco I am hitting the gas harder at times to make reasonable progress or pulling the box into sport mode. 

The majority of my miles are M-way but I have noticed quite frequent Regen cycles and this will suck the MPG down - I am wondering if this could be the case with yours. Even when travelling at good speed on M-ways the engine revs stay quite low due to high gearing. This inhibits the DPF to self clean during normal operation (lower heat) causing regens to be called. Note also that regens are called via sensor readings and although a sensor may not be throwing a fault code - it could be out of kilter and confusing the algorithm causing Regens more often. When you pull up  does the tickover remain around 1K RPM (no start / stopping) and when engine is switched off do the cooling fans run on for some time?  

this is a difficult situation to be in . if they'll plug it in for free let them do it. i imagine if they find nothing they will send you on your way. 

as per above post, what kind of driving are you doing? modern diesels don't take too kindly to the school run. you have the devil lurking under your bonnet (DPF) and it needs regular chances to burn out on the motorway. in fact it should be illegal these days to sell a diesel to anyone who doesn't sit on a motorway for 75+% of their time. 

add to that the dodgy emissions scandal where the recall essentially ruins the car and its a recipe for your troubles. there are things you can do, but it will cost you a few quid and i'm guessing that after forking out for a new car thats the last thing you'll want to do

• 11 months later...

Hi, did you get this sorted. I've got the identical problem with my 2017 A6. 30mpg since it was new.

Just had it into Audi who tell me nothing's wrong with it.

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Hi, did you get this sorted. I've got the identical problem with my 2017 A6. 30mpg since it was new.

Welcome to the forum Buck, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

What kind of driving are you doing? Ie tow, motorway etc. 

Also I've found putting premium fuel in both my diesel cars has improved the mpg slightly.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Mostly urban with some motorway driving. have had other 2.0 diesel cars in the past which average  40-47 mpg with the same driving conditions.

30 mpg is not on especially with the official figures supposed to be super economical.

My 2.0TDI S-Tronic is a week old - Just done 800 miles over two days and the DIS showing 52mpg for the first leg, and 49mpg for the return journey home (uphill to Scotland).

Not hanging around either - cruise set at 80 for at least 60% of the journey, using Manual and the paddles for quicker acceleration when needed as well. 

Quite happy with that TBH on the expectation that if i sat at 60 to 70, it would be far better and will (should) be even better when its run in.

8 minutes ago, Tomo1971 said:

My 2.0TDI S-Tronic is a week old - Just done 800 miles over two days and the DIS showing 52mpg for the first leg, and 49mpg for the return journey home (uphill to Scotland).

Not hanging around either - cruise set at 80 for at least 60% of the journey, using Manual and the paddles for quicker acceleration when needed as well. 

Quite happy with that TBH on the expectation that if i sat at 60 to 70, it would be far better and will (should) be even better when its run in.

Thats the sort of mileage i was expecting.

Not sure what to do if Audi say nothing's wrong.

Have done 3 tanks since new and all are at the 30.4 to 30.7 mpg. i.e. about 420 - 430 miles for 64 litres. Thats driving like a fairy on economy as well.

Anyone got suggestions??

9 hours ago, Chewy said:

Hi Chewy, i've had car now over a year and done more than 10,000 miles, I still average around 37mpg on journeys and can push it rarely in to the 40's on slightly longer runs, and this is after having it mapped for better efficiency.

Audi still insist there is nothing wrong with car even though I achieve nowhere near their stated MPG.

16 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Thats the sort of mileage i was expecting.

Not sure what to do if Audi say nothing's wrong.

Have done 3 tanks since new and all are at the 30.4 to 30.7 mpg. i.e. about 420 - 430 miles for 64 litres. Thats driving like a fairy on economy as well.

Anyone got suggestions??

Try a remap, helped me slightly, but seriously i wish i got the 3.0 version as people i have spoke to achieve much better results than i do in a 2.0.

1 minute ago, JonnyShep said:

Try a remap, helped me slightly, but seriously i wish i got the 3.0 version as people i have spoke to achieve much better results than i do in a 2.0.

Thanks for your reply.

Somethings not right here. I believe you're in the same boat as me.

Defo should be on 50 mpg or there abouts.

Just now, Chewy said:

Thanks for your reply.

Somethings not right here. I believe you're in the same boat as me.

Defo should be on 50 mpg or there abouts.

I certainly am, but audi are stubborn and don't admit something isn't right, so i've grown to live with it, love the car i really do, but if i ever come across a solution to fix the problem myself i certainly will. I drive a van also that gets more MPG haha

I have been thinking about moving over to an Audi A6 Avant from my current Jag 3L V6 but these low MPG figures are really bad. If I have the Jag on cruise at 70mph I can get low to mid 40s and that's with using the flappy paddles to overtake and push on. I drove a long distance recently with it in sport and I still got 39mpg on motorways.

I have noticed that since the weather has warmed up my fuel consumption has improved a lot.

• 1 month later...

Mine is new too - February 17. Seems to vary a bit but last full tank I did 715 miles. The car computer said just over 50 mpg but when I worked it out on actual fuel/miles, I made it about 48 mpg. In my experience eco mode makes a big difference, changes up through the gears much more quickly.

Keep us posted and good luck

Some more figures (a6 (67 plate) 2.0tdi ultra)

All full tanks to emptyish.

Motorway/A roads on economy - 46.77mpg

A roads - rural town on economy - 33.99 mpg

A roads - rural town on economy - 34.62 mpg

A roads - rural town on dynamic - 33 mpg

A roads - rural town on dynamic & economy - 30.74 mpg

A roads - rural town on dynamic & economy - 32.36 mpg

Also the long term DIS seems to be pretty accurate within 2-3 mpg.

To compare to other diesel cars owned (BMW/Ford) all with around the same or more HP have produced 40mpg+  consistantly. And thats driving enthusiastically.

I’ve a 2003 1.9tdi with 238k on it and on a run i expect 45-48 round town 35 and over last 2800 miles i’ve averaged 42.6 according to the computer. I’m busy looking for something to replace it and a 2.0 ultra is on the shortlist. I was working on getting around 50 from one. Looks as though i might need to rethink.

Update on my 2.0TDi: MPG is increacing as the miles pile on. Over 30k miles no and general MPG is in mid forties rather than late thirties 10k miles ago. Combination of mechanicals freeing up and warmer weather have to be considered but general performance seems to be higer too. No real advantage in running the car in Economy setting and I have opted for running in Auto mode day to day pulling back into S mode when the monotiny gets to me. 

Still surprised at how many regen I experience considering the car is on Mways for 70% of its life 

• 2 years later...

Hello Jonathan, 

Many thanks for being in touch. 

I think it’s highly unlikely that either of the posters will be coming back to respond to you since neither has returned to the forum in 2.5 years. 

I note your concern/ disappointment  in the mpg you are attaining, and it goes without saying that manufacturer’s claimed figures can be grossly exaggerated, and real like figures will be significantly influenced by journey patterns and driving styles. Although you say your average is 35 mpg and you don’t know why, it would be useful to know what your average journey pattern is and a little more about your driving style. Also, automatic or manual? 

Kind regards, 

Gareth. 

Hi,

I've tried in the Auto mode for the Driver Assist with the normal automatic, also S mode and also manual mode using the paddles.  I've only made a few short journeys in the week I've had it, 8-12 mile trips.  I did hear the fan startup the other evening after driving and found after research this is possibly DPF cleaning/regen kicking in. I did notice on the long term journey memory when I bought it, the values were 1200 miles with 36mpg that the previous owner had used but I'm not sure of his driving style etc but even so I'd expect more than that. Slightly worried I've coughed up a large amount of cash for a duff engine