Shock abbsorber replacement

felixfandorin

Hello guys,

Can you please share your experience here. I had a knocking sound while driving on rough surface, went to the dealership for suspension check. Mechanic has given that right shock absorber has gone. Car is under the warranty , so he said that they will replace faulty part. I do know that when you replacing one of the absorber's you should replace other side too, even though it is not faulty. question both or just faulty?

Thanks

I agree with you Olgert. These are indeed usually changed in pairs, and I would say particularly since this is a performance car. You can bet that if this wasn't under warranty, you would struggle to get any main dealer to change just one shock absorber. 

Having said that, this is the manufacturer's warrantee we are talking here, and I wouldn't be surprised if VAG simply change the faulty one. I would suggest seeing what they actually propose to do, and if just the one then use your sound logic. My feeling is it will end up with them fitting a pair if you are prepared to part fund the second one. 

Good luck with getting it sorted.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

Thanks Gareth. I have had a performance cars before, it was Bentley V8s with the same problem, dealer has replaced both immediately given the same fact.

Funny enough, I have spoken to the mechanic and he has said that it was a mechanical fault inside the absorber and there was no leak???. Since when we have oil or any other liquid inside absorber, it was there back to 90's now it is filled with a gas. After all my suggestions , he said that Audi replaces only faulty parts, that's it. Will see on Monday.

Hello olgert, 

as has already been mentioned by magnet the shocks should be changed in pairs :) 

im wondering if the R8 has the metal files (metal shards) in the shocks similar to what the Audi TT mk2 had? 

The idea behind the metal shards was when they were magnetised it would stiffen the ride. Could be controlled by the driver from within the cabin. It was an optional extra on the mk 2 TT but I wonder if it was standard on the R8. 

This could be what the mechanic is referring too. 

Cheers 

Steve 

• Like 1

We have VAG Tuner Live at donington park on the Sunday 16th July and Audis in the park on Sunday 13th august :) 

they are for all our members. We have 4 members going to Vag Tuner Live myself included who are displaying their cars and 3-4 of us at Audis in the park. 

Would be great to have an r8 on the display! 

Check out the events page and give me a shout if your interested :) 

cheers

steve

Your most welcome! :) 

il add you to the lists for both. Great to have you on board :) 

thats absolutely fine :) il be sending out final details nearer the time anyway :) 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 13/05/2017 at 10:46 PM, Steve Q said:

Hello olgert, 

as has already been mentioned by magnet the shocks should be changed in pairs :) 

im wondering if the R8 has the metal files (metal shards) in the shocks similar to what the Audi TT mk2 had? 

The idea behind the metal shards was when they were magnetised it would stiffen the ride. Could be controlled by the driver from within the cabin. It was an optional extra on the mk 2 TT but I wonder if it was standard on the R8. 

This could be what the mechanic is referring too. 

Cheers 

Steve 

Does anyone have a near side passenger headlight for an R8 v10 2010-2012

im desperate for one couldn't see where to post the question,?

cheers