Nightmare MOT at Audi's

WelshSue

Took our A6 in for it's MOT & Brake Fluid change yesterday at my local Audi's(well  a 80 mile trip is not that local, but get it FOC as we had Cam-belt replaced last year s, so get 5 free MOT's). Only done just over 4000 miles since they tested it last year & it passed with only a couple of advisories for chips in windscreen. Got a phone call from them about 2 hours after we dropped it off to say it had failed as both the headlights were not working nor was the front offside indicators. I questioned this with the Lady on the phone as we had driven there in Fog so had the lights on all the way & the indicators were working? She started raising her voice on the phone to me saying that it will cost over £200 in labour plus parts to fix & we couldn't drive it home until work done. When I told her I could still drive it as the MOT didn't actually run out until the 15th of June, she got even more loud. So I asked to speak to a Manager. He said he would find out for himself & call me back. When he did it turned out that it was the sidelight bulbs(LED's) that were the problem & also the nearside front headlight unit was loose. The tester failed the bulbs as in his view they were showing a blue tint & there was nothing wrong with the indicators. I told him that the sidelight bulbs were changed for LED's over 3 years ago & that the MOT tester there had passed them last year & that the car had it's cambelt replaced with them last year which involves taking the front of the car off so had something not been tightened up? He also confirmed that we could still drive the car upto the original expiry date & would explain this to the Lady we were dealing with.Anyway he said he would make some more inquiries & call us back. When he did he said as we had spent over £1800 with them last year & that they had passed the car. They would replace the Bulbs FOC & it was a fixing Bolt that was missing from the headlight unit(could have been missed when re-assembling front of car).  The only trouble with Audi's you can only deal with the advisors(Suits & Dresses my OH calls them) out front & not the technicians.You do get free drinks & we had a 2017 A4 TFSI as a courtesy car Anyway in the end only cost us £59 for the Fluid change. Next year might be expensive as they did note a slight misting of oil on one of the NSF Shock & slight corrosion on both NSF & OSR Coil Springs. 

Sorry to hear of you issues, particularly since I guess we are talking a Welsh dealership here. I'm sure the old adage of no such thing as a free lunch can, and generally does, still apply, and personally, I avoid the so called free MOTs and even discounted rate ones, and simply pay the going rate with a garage you trust. 

Perhaps a daft statement, but what cost is free MOT when it entails an 80 mile journey? Still, all's well that ends well.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks for the replies Guy's. These Advisories I mentioned, Coils Springs corroded & slight oil misting on Front Shock. I did a bit of Googling & there seems to be differing opinions on whether these should be replaced. What do you Guys think?    

Hello Susan,

Are you seriously intending to take this car back to them again next year for your free MOT?

If so, I would advise getting these items sorted, since they will most likely pick up on them. 

If not, and you follow advice and find yourself a trusted local MOT station, then I suggest you take the car along to them and ask their opinion on whether these items are likely to result in a failure next year or not. This may cost you some pounds (or maybe not) but could be good and cheaper advice in the long run. 

I wouldn't be surprised that in terms of the spring corrosion that that can be sorted by a coating of Wayoyl or similar. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

Very tempted not to return next year, as found this morning that the headlight that they said was loose now has condensation on the inside of glass. On further inspection the cover on rear was not fitted on properly one clip just hanging. Inside unit is full of water. Have sent email with photo's to their Service Manager. Awaiting reply.

DSCF1229.JPG

Wow, it sounds like it gets better! (Not!) hopefully this new issue gets sorted. If it were me I would not be returning there next year! 

Have you had a survey through from them yet? Normally you get to rate them. 

Cheers

steve

Hello Susan, 

To be honest, I'm rather surprised about the ...."very tempted not to return next year'.... bit. Perhaps I've got this wrong, but I think the consensus of opinion you asked for, recommends you steer clear, and I'm sure if you look at it logically it will be realised that was probably pretty sound advice. 

Just look at it from this point of view:-

They change your cambelt, and I'm not sure how much labour they charged you, but you will know, and have a fair idea from that what their hourly rate is. Now, as a good will gesture they give you 5 free MOTs which equates to £270 at the current full charge rate - bit of a loss so far?! Add to that loss, the fact that they spend 1hour doing an MOT at an hourly rate of £54 inc. VAT. I would be surprised if their normal hourly rate isn't far off/over £90  plus vat. So I guess you can now work out that this is a loss loss situation for them, unless they can recoupe work from problems (justified problems of course) found during these 5 MOTs. You can form your own opinion from there.

Intersting to hear what the Service Manager has to say, but in all honesty, anyone who walks into anything for free, is quite likely to come out with some sort of charge for the lunch. But don't worry - experience can be even more expensive if not learned from.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

email response back from Service Manager,didn't seem to want to talk to me on the phone. He says "Misting of Headlights is normal, If they fail next year will will replace them foc!!".

Spoke to AA Technical. the gentleman there told me misting wasn't normal especially if you have visible water droplets on them, Audi's should have at least been able to fit the covers back on properly & in his opinion  should have Car back in & rectify or replace both as you will get corrosion on the bulb holders. The photo's below were taken today clearly showing the water droplets. these have been emailed back to the Service Manager. I await his response. 

DSCF1238.JPG

DSCF1239.JPG

Hi Sue, 

i have a a6 c5 and can confirm this is NOT normal! My family have owned our c5 from new and have never had this issue in all 15 years of ownership! Not even slight misting!

Sorry to hear that the horrendous service is still continuing! 

Cheers

steve

Another email response. The service manager(or after sales manager as he wants to be called), has passed it to the service supervisor. She has now rung & apologised for the problems & after seeing the photo's said Audi's are willing to put everything right. Also to save me the 80 mile round trip, They will come & collect car from me on the 26th June(this is the earliest they can do with a courtesy car). investigate/rectify problems then return car to me. They will need the car for at least 2 days & will also replace  fuel used while in their care. So hopefully by the end of June it should be sorted

• 4 weeks later...

Update. Audi's collected Car as promised on  Monday 26th & left me a brand new(only 700 miles on the Clock) A6 3.0TDi Quattro SE Executive. What a Car 8 speed gearbox & acceleration like a fighter jet. Anyway got a phone call the next day saying they were drying out the headlights & should have car back Wednesday pm. Told them that was unacceptable as the water had been the lights for nearly a month! & what Audi head office had told me(I had cc'd my emails to/from dealership to them & had a call from them basically telling me that Audi's are at fault & will replace the lights). The dealership told me they would take advise & get back to me. Sure enough another call to say "Yes we have ordered a new set of Headlights for you & will ring once ready to be delivered back to me". Car was returned this afternoon, New lights(even fitted a complete set of new bulbs), valeted & even a FULL tank of Fuel(was just under 1/2 full when they collected it). RESULT  

6 hours ago, WelshSue said:

Update. Audi's collected Car as promised on  Monday 26th & left me a brand new(only 700 miles on the Clock) A6 3.0TDi Quattro SE Executive. What a Car 8 speed gearbox & acceleration like a fighter jet. Anyway got a phone call the next day saying they were drying out the headlights & should have car back Wednesday pm. Told them that was unacceptable as the water had been the lights for nearly a month! & what Audi head office had told me(I had cc'd my emails to/from dealership to them & had a call from them basically telling me that Audi's are at fault & will replace the lights). The dealership told me they would take advise & get back to me. Sure enough another call to say "Yes we have ordered a new set of Headlights for you & will ring once ready to be delivered back to me". Car was returned this afternoon, New lights(even fitted a complete set of new bulbs), valeted & even a FULL tank of Fuel(was just under 1/2 full when they collected it). RESULT  

Glad you got sorted Sue :)

sory to hear they gave you even more mess around though! 

Im hoping your not taking your a6 back there again?! 

"I'm hoping you are not taking your A6 back there again?!" 

Um?? Battles won can give satisfaction, but battles they are, and battles simply equals hassle. I think a lot of people will echo your comment Steve. 

Of course, there might be a school of thought that these people "owe me" a couple more free MOTs and the fact that this year's battle has been fruitful in the end, that it's worth returning next year to have a similar chance of satisfaction if another battle is necessary. 

Would I be right in thinking most of us on here would simply steer well clear of whatever is left of this "free MOT" , and simply foster good relations with a local MOT station? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 6 months later...

Update. Don't usually drive at night, but had to drop my eldest Son back at his Flat after staying with me for Xmas. Noticed the headlight beam seems a lot lower than it used to be. Checked the electric height adjuster & is set correctly to "0".  Audi's assured me(also printed on receipt) that they had aligned them. Going to see if my local Garage will check them for me. As comments above mention. I will not be making use of Audi's free MOT's anymore. 

Sorry to hear your still having issues sue. Have you decided what you will do if the lights haven't been adjusted properly by Audi? 

Definitely don't blame you for not using the mot service again! 

Cheers

Steve

• 2 months later...

Not going back for free MOT's as Car now up for sale!Getting too expensive.Had front spring break on me & as the shock was leaking as well that needed replacing. Found upper suspension arms need replacing as bolt was seized & they had to use heat treatment to remove.

16 hours ago, WelshSue said:

Not going back for free MOT's as Car now up for sale!Getting too expensive.Had front spring break on me & as the shock was leaking as well that needed replacing. Found upper suspension arms need replacing as bolt was seized & they had to use heat treatment to remove.

Sorry to hear this Sue, but I know where youre coming from. The suspension as are expensive to replace. Ive had my lower ones replaced recently and the upper ones will be due soon. 

Oh and feel free to post a for sale ad on the forum :) 

Are you buying another Audi? 

Cheers

Steve

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2018 at 9:12 AM, Steve Q said:

Sorry to hear this Sue, but I know where youre coming from. The suspension as are expensive to replace. Ive had my lower ones replaced recently and the upper ones will be due soon. 

Oh and feel free to post a for sale ad on the forum :) 

Are you buying another Audi? 

Cheers

Steve

Car was snapped up on my local Facebook buy/sell group. Got £900 for it even though it only had 2 months MOT left(best PX I could get was £500/worst was £100!!!). Have bought a 2013 1.7CDTI Eco Astra Estate(Sports Tourer they call it). Tax cheaper only £30 for the year,parts cheaper(Cam Belt £239 compared with £899 for Audi). Local Vauxhall Dealer is only 7 miles away compared to 40 miles.

I'm sorry to leave the Group,I've received some great help,but I don't have the money to keep throwing at the Car.

All the Best

Sue

x

13 hours ago, WelshSue said:

I'm sorry to leave the Group,I've received some great help,but I don't have the money to keep throwing at the Car.

Sorry to see you go too but at least you had the right mindset to know when enough is a enough hope you enjoy your new car :yahoo:

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your kind words. Just a final note, New Owners have had the MOT done. Pass with a couple of advisory's on slight corrosion. No issues with the Power Steering that Audi's reckoned would Fail MOT as kaput(I had not noticed any problems ie Noise  or issue's with steering) & would cost up-to £2000 to replace!! Dealer defo  out to generate unnecessary   work.

On 7/4/2018 at 9:52 AM, WelshSue said:

Thank you for your kind words. Just a final note, New Owners have had the MOT done. Pass with a couple of advisory's on slight corrosion. No issues with the Power Steering that Audi's reckoned would Fail MOT as kaput(I had not noticed any problems ie Noise  or issue's with steering) & would cost up-to £2000 to replace!! Dealer defo  out to generate unnecessary   work.

Glad it's passed and will live on 🙂

I find the main dealers list everything wrong, A to get money and B they want your old car to be perfect. I'd dread taking my a6 to a main dealer. It's in very good condition but I bet they would find a mountain of faults. 

cheers

Steve