Audi A6 help for a noob, please

Hiya all.  I'm a long time lurker as am looking to replace my BMW Z4 with something with four seats and a gigantic boot to do some motorway mile munching.  A manual, 2010 Audi A6 looks perfect (those interiors are amazing) and potentially looking to buy a 2.0 TFSI A6 this weekend.

However, the question I wanted to ask is if the A6 2.0 TFSI engines are similarly affected by the oil issue.  I haven't seen any mention of this as the affected models seem to be A4,s A5s and Q5s but have never heard of an A6 being affected.  Has anyone heard if 2010 A6 TFSIs are also affected and if not, why not?  When I called Audi and my local dealer, they mentioned A6s were unaffected but I wanted to check on here, first.

What do you know about this?

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum :) 

you'll find the members on here are a friendly bunch and will advise you where they can :) 

to be fair I haven't heard of the a6 being affected either. 

Sorry I can't help anymore. 

Cheers

steve

1 hour ago, Steve Q said:

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum :) 

you'll find the members on here are a friendly bunch and will advise you where they can :) 

to be fair I haven't heard of the a6 being affected either. 

Sorry I can't help anymore. 

Cheers

steve

Thanks Steve!  I think I might buy it because I've always wanted one, ever since someone drove me around in Dubai.  The 'feel' was phenomenal and if I buy it, I hope it holds together.  I tried calling Audi and they couldn't give me a believable answer:  The question being have any A6s with this engine had the oil consumption issues or whether the pistons were manufactured differently so I could be the guinea pig...

I'll let you know over the next year!  It's a risk because either it's the bargain of the century or a complete disaster!

1 hour ago, AudiA62Noob said:

Thanks Steve!  I think I might buy it because I've always wanted one, ever since someone drove me around in Dubai.  The 'feel' was phenomenal and if I buy it, I hope it holds together.  I tried calling Audi and they couldn't give me a believable answer:  The question being have any A6s with this engine had the oil consumption issues or whether the pistons were manufactured differently so I could be the guinea pig...

I'll let you know over the next year!  It's a risk because either it's the bargain of the century or a complete disaster!

Glad I could help :) 

Good luck with the purchase. 

Just remember the age old saying if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! 

Just check the service history (ideally it should be full). One thing you could ask the seller is he happy with you to get an independent vehicle check.

Companies like the AA and rac offer this service. It is always a good thing to ask because if the seller is reluctant or refuses then I would just walk away as he or the car has something to hide. 

Cheers 

steve :) 

Looks OK, keenly priced because of the risk of the oil issue so fingers crossed.  About to discover whether the oil issue also relates to the A6...  Stay tuned...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-6-3 at 8:00 PM, AudiA62Noob said:

Looks OK, keenly priced because of the risk of the oil issue so fingers crossed.  About to discover whether the oil issue also relates to the A6...  Stay tuned...

So I did some research into the 2 litre, petrol, manual Audi A6 / C6 engine, 2010 which has a BPJ engine code.  When I traced this back, this is an Audi EA113 turbocharged engine discontinued in 2008, not the EA888 from 2008 onwards which I believe is the engine with piston ring issues.  This means I believe it drinks some oil (but not insanely so), has some weaknesses (principally cambelt changes every 30,000 miles) but is unaffected by the total engine, piston ring rebuilds of the EA888.

The piston ring, total engine rebuild was my biggest concern but it appears the Audi A6s, even in 2010, were fitted with the earlier engine, slightly detuned for torque rather than the newer, EA888 which suffered issues.

Before I open the champagne, is this correct?