Retrofit steering wheel

123jaye

I'd like to retrofit a flat bottom steering wheel. Like an s3 wheel etc.  Can it be done ? Same with the gear knob . Is it possible to fit an  auto s3 gear knob ? 

18 minutes ago, 123jaye said:

I'd like to retrofit a flat bottom steering wheel. Like an s3 wheel etc.  Can it be done ? Same with the gear knob . Is it possible to fit an  auto s3 gear knob ? 

Hi James, yes the steering wheel should be possible. You see it done a lot in the Audi and other vag tuning mags :) 

I'm unsure about the gear knob though. 

Cheers

steve

I would say easily anything a4 or a6 (obviously) related. Possible a3 but not sure.

One thing to bare in mind is that it might not be a case of the steering wheel not fitting but more a case of the airbag connections being different and not compatible if that makes sense. 

Cheers

steve

3 minutes ago, 123jaye said:

That's a good point.  Plus coding it in as well .  Looked about on Google there doesn't seem to be any definite answers. 

As I say, I know it can be done as you see it in the Audi Tuner mags all the time :) 

could you not look at other steering wheels which were designed for your model i.e. S6 or rs6? Or the accessory wheels on offer at the time? 

This woukd probs be the easiest option to be honest :)

cheers

steve

Consider looking at golf and A3 steering wheels. These are a very commonly used steering wheel of upgrading to what you want. RS6 ones are going to be few and far between and therefore pricey. All are I believe compatable to the steering column from a VAG car. They even fit Transporters!!

You are very much likely going to have to get one coded in to your ECU to allow the buttons to work. Unless you get one from the same year run, 2006-2007 from another A6? Try doing a 247parts (or other online search tools) online specific search for the A6 model and then A4 -A3 and so on. See what gets offered back to you and then choose best price. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dan3222 said:

Consider looking at golf and A3 steering wheels. These are a very commonly used steering wheel of upgrading to what you want. RS6 ones are going to be few and far between and therefore pricey. All are I believe compatable to the steering column from a VAG car. They even fit Transporters!!

You are very much likely going to have to get one coded in to your ECU to allow the buttons to work. Unless you get one from the same year run, 2006-2007 from another A6? Try doing a 247parts (or other online search tools) online specific search for the A6 model and then A4 -A3 and so on. See what gets offered back to you and then choose best price. 

I stand corrected :) 

nice one Dan, it's good to know a3 steering wheels fit and I thought you'd have to have them coded :) 

cheers

steve

2 hours ago, Steve Q said:

I stand corrected :) 

nice one Dan, it's good to know a3 steering wheels fit and I thought you'd have to have them coded :) 

cheers

steve

In fairness I am only quoting what loads of people have done on the T5 forum, the standard ones fitted to the vans are dull to say the least. Golf ones are most commonly used but some have used Audi donors. I myself haven't done it though.

I have just had to double check, was starting to doubt myself lol.

Here is a pic of a TT one fitted to a T5. There are Seat ones fitted too. Of course the badge on a VW one won't match though. They all seem to change hands for 3-400 squid though, ouch!! 

833926EF-8B8C-4457-BA35-4AE91E992922-1599-000002A1A91A7154.jpeg

That's the wheel I already have. For some reason I fancy a newer flat bottom wheel . Just worried about compatibility.  Especially if it's costing 300 odd quid 

I guess it's whether you think it's worth the money. It does seem like just about any VAG wheel will fit but really best bet is to try to get one from same year if you can. Then There is a chance that all the electric will work. Don't forget you could sell your old steering wheel very quickly. I might even be interested for my T5... potentially.

7 hours ago, Dan3222 said:

In fairness I am only quoting what loads of people have done on the T5 forum, the standard ones fitted to the vans are dull to say the least. Golf ones are most commonly used but some have used Audi donors. I myself haven't done it though.

7 hours ago, Dan3222 said:

I have just had to double check, was starting to doubt myself lol.

833926EF-8B8C-4457-BA35-4AE91E992922-1599-000002A1A91A7154.jpeg

Deffo looks a popular upgrade but I can see why the steering wheels on the vans are naff in comparison to the cars! 

Sorry for getting you to doubt yourself! Your full of useful info Dan! :) 

• Like 1