Brake pad fitment

Big GeordieLad

I'm currently looking online to buy 2 sets of front pads. There seems to be a variety of choice with some being a different size. How can tell what size i need or does it not matter?

I'm looking on the Euro car part site.

Hello Lee,

They should be able to identify the correct ones when you let them know what your registration number is.

Wondered what brand of brake pads you were thinking of buying, and whether you were indending to go for the best price deal.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hello Magnet

I did put my registration in but the results showed different sizes when you clicked in the fitment detail section.

I'm assuming i can buy any pads as long as they correspond with the right discs yes?

Hello Lee,

Thanks for coming back on this. If the registration throws up the possibility of two different types then there there are three ways to possibly resolve which are the the correct ones (in ease of doing):-

Contact the seller and ask if they would know from the VIN? which would be the correct one.

Contact your local Audi dealer - give the VIN - and ask the same question, get the Audi part number and refer back to the eBay seller.

Take one pad out, measure and photograph it, and then identify which one you need to buy.

"I assume I can buy any pad as long as they correspond with the the right discs- yes?"

Answer is indeed yes, once you know what are the the correct part number pads you want.

I'm sensing cheapest correct ones wins here! 

The only good example comparison I can make for you is:- You need a new pair of trainers, so you go along to the local Sunday market stall and buy the cheapest ones that fit you - yes?

Probably no, and I guess you would want the better quality at the best price.

Brakes are meant to save your life - and others, and cheap means cheap, and you will find out they don't stop you as good as Audi/quality brands, and they just won't last as long. Beware, even brands once recognised as being amongst the best aftermarket quality, are now simply bought-out brand names and those names supposedly bringing some degree of respectability to the parts! 

I'm from the school of buy once and wisely, and it might be worth bearing in mind that you are saving a fair amount in labour by doing it yourself, so why scrimp on cheapest parts? 

Obviously your call Lee, and good luck in finding what you need. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi,

If you look in the spare wheel bay you'll see a sticker that has a whole load of codes written on it including the paint code VIN number etc. One of those codes is the brake pad code. It will be either 1LG or 1ZL. That will tell you which set to get. The difference depends on the brake disc diameter 321mm or 347mm.

• Like 1