Noise when turning

Gavo

Fair point Cliff.

Will the Audi dealer guarantee that this repair will indeed eliminate the noise that bothers Gavin? 

Even if they do - and I seriously doubt they would  ( perhaps Steve could comment on this from his dealership experience) - then of course Gavin would have to pay their rate for the job rather than take it elsewhere, IF he decides this the cure for his noise. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks both for your messages

thats what I'm more concernd of getting them repaired and it turns out not to be the issue. If I Consider getting them done I wouldn't be having them completed at Audi I would get a family member to do them for me all in would be around £100 includeing parts or I'm just going to wait untill the noise gets worser so it's Easyer  to diagnose. I'm just concerned as iv spent loads already and don't want to be wasteing more money. Atlest I know for one thing the parts changed I won't be changeing them again while I own the car 

If the Audi dealer guarantees this will eliminate the noise that is present then I'll be more than happy to have the work completed by them but I need to ask the question if it doesn't resolve the issue what then 

Gavo mate, I really feel for you here. This has been a nightmare for you.

So I have been away for a few days with work etc and come back on here expecting you to have gotten to the bottom of this issue. I got excited for a second then thought well strut top mounts does not make sense. Magnet picked up on this straight away too, it really does not make sense at all.

You can do a basic test on the strut top mounts by the help of a friend. Park the car on grass, wetter the better. Don't have the engine on!! Get some one to turn the steering wheel from lock to lock while you have the bonnet up and both listen and feel the strut mounting point. The offending side will make a noise and maybe even clunk at either full lock. Hope this helps.

Going 0mph or 100mph won't make a difference to the noise of the strut top mounts and I am so sure you say that you can hear. Noise when traveling now, whether you are turning or not?

However, if it does indeed turn out to be these mounts then please accept my sincere appologies for offering my advice incorrectly. The dangers of reading and assuming we know what's wrong without actually driving someone's car.

keep us informed though mate. 

• Like 1

Thanks Dan for your message.

After reading magnets message it dose not make sense why they would say it was a top strut. Expecailly when i took the guy out and he indicated something on the rear drivers side. then now there saying top strut noisey when turning. but i dont know if it has any relation to the vibration i can feel through the passenger spring when turning lock to lock there is a vibration on the coil sping. When drivers side has been checked there no  vibration when turning. I will attempt to try your advise at some point tomorrow hopefully. I had a bad strut on my renault megan ( i know renault) and i could only hear that when going around 50 mph you would hear it wud wud wud. But this is only when turnng and pulling off when straighening the steering wheel the noise goes away.

As i mentioned everything else come up corrrectly on the dianostic & heath check i have attached the reports so everyone can see.

I am either going to get the struts replaced or wait for the issue to become much worser so its easyer to diagnose/locate - its a shame that i am located so far away from you guys because you seem to have more knowlage about the cars more than garages around here

Epson_08092017105529.pdf

Epson_08092017213520.pdf

Hello Gavin,

Chances are I am going to bore you and the rest of the good folks on here!,  but I think we all feel for your plight here, and how you best go forward. 

Basic questions which may add a bit more sense to this:- 

Have they actually said to you that the cause of your noise is the wear in the upper suspension mounts? 

or

Have they said that as part of the  Health Check   they have found wear in the upper suspension mounts? 

Two very different questions, and the answers to them are really critical to the situation.

Prejudging your reply (which probably means you have to ask the dealer to explain again to be sure) it would not surprise me that this has been found as part of the health check, and not their quest to find the reason for the noise. 

If that is the case, I would return to them and ask to see the technician who diagnosed thatvthe noise was associated with a suspected rear wheel bearing, and get him to have a proper look at this again and report back to you.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi All,

I have requested to speak to the technician who worked on my car on Thursday last week to confirm a couple of details - Was the bad top strut found as part as the heath check or was it found as what was causing the noise.

Depending on this response will depend on what my actions are next. If they are unable to confirm if this is defiantly what my issue is then I will leave it until either something breaks or gets wroser, so the issue can be identified easier. but as you can see nothing else has flagged on the heath check apart from these top struts

Hello All,

Just to give everyone an update. I have spoken to the technician that looked at my car last week and he is confident that is the issue but couldn't confirm it, I have told him I am not prepared to pay £654 based on confident as I have already spent a lot of money on this issue and do not want to continue to spend replacing parts if its not going to solve my issue, Anyway the guy at Audi was alright and what he has asked if I can re drop the car down to him and I take him out to hear this noise and if it needs to go in for another diagnostic just to guarantee that is the issue he said I will not be charged for another diagnostic.

So I am going to pop down there before the weekend and hopefully get this resolved and closed .

Indeed, all good luck to you Gavin. You certainly deserve it. 

Sorry if I seem to be pinning down with this, but when I look back on your post of 31 Aug., you say the technician (who did a road  test with you?) said the noise was something to do with the driver's side rear, and it had to go in for further investigation - and the health check.

i just wondered whether the chap who said he thought the nose was coming from the back, was the same one who checked the car when it went in, and if he is the one you have been in touch with again, and will be looking at the car when they have it back in again. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

nah not at all gareth,

I can understand  exactly what your saying, and why this secondry check is important to ensure the correct parts are changed/looked out. as i have been advised it was possable rear baring then after check its top mounts so there gonna look at it can not ask for much more to be fair but i must admit this is a very intresting issue

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gavo,

i have been away from forums in general for a few weeks. Was really hoping you had this all sorted by now. Lol, just reread the whole post and it's like a soap opera!! 

Would love to hear if you are now sorted or indeed are waiting for the sound to worsen to help diagnose.

Regards

Dan

• Like 1

To test cv joints go on an empty carpark and turn wheels all the way one side and start accelerating rapidly , no clicking sound then they are fine , same for the other side. 

Did you had the same issue before chaning disks/pads ?

Hello Gavin,.

Wondered how things were progressing with this. It would be great to have an update, or to have some more information to possibly close the thread off. 

Kind regards,

Gareth,

HI All,

@Dan3222 A couple of days after I re booked the car back into Audi for them to take another look, they was expecting to here a bad top strut when I took them out they herd the dreadful noise. The Audi technician sat in the passenger side and put his hands on the dashboard close to the window ( towards the top strut mounts) and could feel the vibration/rubbing/ grinding thought the dashboard. He then sat in the rear passenger then drivers rear  to see if he could here/feel the noise and he couldn't which he then ruled out rear wheel Barings. He then lifted my bonnet up and put his hand over the top struts as I slowly moved and turned he could feel the vibration/rubbing but couldn't here the noise outside the car. - Audi are still confident its the top mounts/top mount baring. They said if they change the top mounts they can inspected the struts ect - they did say its not gearbox related but could understand why the previous company mentioned it.

@niedzial1983  yes I had the noise before the disks and pads was changed - I was informed that the dis was warped so had it all changed.

@Magnet  - Well still not further at the moment as i am in two minds at the moment to get them done or not to get them done as I really don't know if you understand what I mean, as I have loads replaced and not resolved it soo im just unsure do I just risk it and have them changed hoping that will fix the issue but it comes at a cost of £600 quid  - seems strange as this is the only issue they found throughout the whole car

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi I also have this problem and changed discs pads and bearings 😡did you ever get to the bottom of it ? Was it the top mount? Thanks in advance I’m pulling my hair out 

Is that what it definitely was as looks like gavo had all of his checked and all were ok and noise still persistent just wanted to find out if he ever got his fixed cheers 

Hi jess, I’m afraid I never got to the bottom of it, I have vertically a new front end and still continues to have the issue. I did go  ahead at have the top mounts changed at Audi but never cured there problem and they believe it may have been gearbox related however I did not want to throw anymore money at it so I decided to px towards an Audi Q5

Hello  Piotr, 

"Drive shafts"? 

Wondered if that is what Gavin confirmed to you was the cause, or whether you just  think that was the cause? 

All important to Jess to know before he starts spending his money.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm having difficulty with this from the point of view that I cannot get much significant in terms of meaningful sounds from the 'video' ( my system or hearing?), and I cannot really follow how this can be a failed engine mounting without symptoms associated with this, such as engine/clutch judder etc. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.