A7 3.0 TDI engine sound

A7Guy

Hi Folks, have noticed the engine sound recently (I'm MY2015 on about 35000 miles)

I saw Rastaman's post and my engine seems to share the lower end dubdubdubdub sound with his, and I think some of the more high frequency noises are audible because the bonnet's up.

Any comment on whether it should sound this busy? Sound is still around when pulling at low revs too.

Thanks

That's reassuring, thanks.  It's just driving around with windows down in the heat I can hear this clatter reflecting back when I drive past a wall/parked cars etc.  V offputting!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi A7guy,

The ticking noise from the top left of your engine is very similar to mine. When I took it in it was the cam chain tensioner that needed fixing and they replaced all 6 cam shafts I think, I'll have to look at the receipt, I didn't really understand what was done so apologies if I got the cam shaft bit wrong.  Anyway, the engine does sound better now, more of a grumble than a grumble with a ticking noise. Like you, the noise was there even when the engine was warm. What did it for me was that on trip I had stopped at a motorway stop and left my wife in the car with the engine running whilst I nipped out and when I was walking back I could the car  idling in the carpark  and I could hear the ticking noise, which I thought doesn't sound right. The main dealer fixed it fairly quickly with no fuss and cost about to them in parts alone was £3k add labour and a loan car for a week it must have set them back a bit more. Take your car in before the warranty expires. They must have come across it before because it was fixed, no questions asked. Mine is also a 2015 272 TDI with 23k on the clock at the time of the problem

I'll post a video of the engine post cam chain tensioner replacement when I get some time.

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,

v

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rastaman said:

Hi A7guy,

The ticking noise from the top left of your engine is very similar to mine. When I took it in it was the cam chain tensioner that needed fixing and they replaced all 6 cam shafts I think, I'll have to look at the receipt, I didn't really understand what was done so apologies if I got the cam shaft bit wrong.  Anyway, the engine does sound better now, more of a grumble than a grumble with a ticking noise. Like you, the noise was there even when the engine was warm. What did it for me was that on trip I had stopped at a motorway stop and left my wife in the car with the engine running whilst I nipped out and when I was walking back I could the car  idling in the carpark  and I could hear the ticking noise, which I thought doesn't sound right. The main dealer fixed it fairly quickly with no fuss and cost about to them in parts alone was £3k add labour and a loan car for a week it must have set them back a bit more. Take your car in before the warranty expires. They must have come across it before because it was fixed, no questions asked. Mine is also a 2015 272 TDI with 23k on the clock at the time of the problem

I'll post a video of the engine post cam chain tensioner replacement when I get some time.

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,

v

Thanks rastaman, I was thinking as I read that it'd be great to hear an "after" sound for comparison. Please do upload one as soon as you get the chance because I'd like to get this sorted and all the better if I can be certain what I'm listening for. 

How did you present it to the dealers? Call me a cynic but I don't really expect it to go as smoothly as you described!

Its a bit subtle, but you can't hear the ticking noise now post Cam chain tensioner repair. Like you, I thought I would be told that is how the engine sounds but they were pretty good to be fair. I had only bought the car from them a few weeks earlier.

after_repair.MOV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rastaman said:

Its a bit subtle, but you can't hear the ticking noise now post Cam chain tensioner repair. Like you, I thought I would be told that is how the engine sounds but they were pretty good to be fair. I had only bought the car from them a few weeks earlier.

after_repair.MOV

Thanks Rasta,

Sounds a lot smoother.  If you got the chance to do a quick video with the bonnet up that would be even more helpful/

Much appreciated :thumbsup:

Thanks Rastaman, you're right it sounds virtually identical.. doesn't seem to relate to the noise I can hear on acceleration then.

Thanks anyway!  I'll get the dealer to look at it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just had the same news on my 2015 Allroad 272 3.0 TDI with 40K on the clock. It went in for a service last week and Audi inform me that the chain and tensioner need to be replaced, it's a 30 hour job with the engine out apparently, so thankfully it's under warranty, no quibbling on fixing it though. I'm told it's subject to a 'dealer bulletin' but obviously there hasn't been a recall, so assuming it's a bad batch of components rather than every car? At 4-5K to fix it, I'm just glad I'm not paying!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all. 

Have a 3.0ltr TDI V6 272bhp, I'm having some noise issues at low rpm's and I hear the flutter noise and at times the noise moves from one side of the engine to the other. 

I just serviced the car at audi as a mechanic told me it could be incorrect engine oil. The sound is still there! 

Unfortunately I'm out of audi warranty but have RAC cover but wont cover £3k.

Not sure what to do, I've only had the car 9 months!

@rastaman and @A7Guy any ideas if this is the same issue you have dealt with?

• 11 months later...

I have Audi A4 3.0 TDI and exactly the same noise. Did you manage to solve it? I bought my car from Germany from AUDI authorized dealer and it was brought to Slovakia. Now after 2weeks I recognized that sound is really strange. Next week car will go for check to AUDI service, so lets see what they will tell me. Nevertheless, I am afraid its time chain or chain tensioner... The car warranty ended 8/2019... However, I hope I will be able to apply some kind of warranty as this is really hidden iissue and shouldnt happen in 4years old car serviced in authorized service and having 68k KM only. 

Did you manage to solve your issue?

• 2 months later...

Hello @DavidA4

Same problem as you. The same sound in my Audi a4 b9 3.0 tdi 218ps, very similar engine (the same I think, only electronic adjust and gearbox differences). Here a video of the sound. I also bought the car in Germany and brought it to Spain. It has 96k kms. Do you solve it? What was the problem?

Thanks a lot

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

My 2016 q7 developed the same noise the  garage replaced cams and it sounds perfect again,

Some boffin at Audi decided to spring load the gears on the cams trying to prevent cam chain rattle obviously the spring becomes week or fails and there you have the noise you can hear.

I believe Audi have went backwards to cams with the gears fixed again,

hope this helps 

cheers