Mmi replacement

Lauratate81

My main button on my mmi unit is broke , I have pulled it out & looked behind & the wires connecting the button to the unit are snapped , making my sat nav useless . I have heard that Audi can't repair this problem but will raplace the whole unit for a small fortune , I have looked on eBay for a replacement unit , does anyone know if I was to purchase one of thease can it just be installed or does it have to be programmed to my car , I once tried my sd sat nav card  in a friends car who has the same model but the sat nav did not work so I'm wondering if I would have a problem  using the sat nav sd card in a new replacement mmi unit ? Does anyone have any experience with this ? 

Welcome to the forum Laura :) 

youll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :)

sorry to hear of your issue. As Piotr as said, we need to know what mmi you have and what model it is. 

Just makes it easier for members to give you correct info :) 

Cheers

steve

Your best option is to solder back the flat cable . If the is no other damage then it will work just fine . Take it to an electrician or hifi repair shop where they can do it . 

Replacing whole unit is expensive 

• 1 year later...

The same thing has happened to mine. Apparently it’s quite common but Audi won’t entertain it. The housing the button goes into has little teeth, one has snapped and the flat ribbon. Can it be repaired?

• 2 years later...

Hi was just wondering how you pulled the knob out? I did try to pull it but was scared I’d make break it even more. Mine need replacing I think. It’s been pressed to hard and is now sunken in!