MPG A4

abbyr50

Hi guys

Just recently bought a 2008 A4 TFSI. Previously had a Passat 1.9 TDI (03 plate).

I know Petrol cars generally give you less mileage than Diesels but didn't expect it to be this juicy. I usually put in £40 from empty and got around 250 city miles in the passat but the Audi is giving me around 180. So 70 miles less in a car which is 5 years newer.

Does this seem about right?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi abbyr50   

That sounds incredibly juicy...that roughly equates to just over 22 miles to the gallon (by my calculations....grade E in Maths)

Either you have a lead boot on your right foot or there is something wrong with the car.

Has it been serviced lately?

57 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Hi abbyr50   

That sounds incredibly juicy...that roughly equates to just over 22 miles to the gallon (by my calculations....grade E in Maths)

Either you have a lead boot on your right foot or there is something wrong with the car.

Has it been serviced lately?

Hi Trevor

Yes it was Mot'd before i bought and no advisories passed with flying colours. All services with Audi. 

How would I go about checking if there is something wrong with car for fuel consumption? Car drives smooth as silk doesn't seem like anything is wrong with it.

• Like 1

Hi Abby

What fuel you using? carbon deposits build up over the years decreasing performance and lowering MPG, you may not notice that it's running different because you're used to it, I could recommend trying come shell V+ or having a carbon clean on it. make sure all tires are also blown up to the correct PSI.

Is there anything happening around the city atm that wasn't there with the passat? like road works (more stop start ect) ? 

Also what's the MPG saying on the screen, match it up to what the Urban miles are for the car and see the difference. 

Kind regards

Bradley

• Like 1

Note the Passat could have the optimistic VAG Software running on it. Difficult to do a retrospective check of Passat but do a Litres to fill against miles check.... 

http://www.mpg-calculator.co.uk/

I find my Audi Diesel brutally honest but never optimistic.  your car is nearing 9 years old - what sort of miles does it have on it? Being new to you are you aware of the previous owner? Note Diesel Cars are not that good at town work (ironic that most Taxi are Diesel) but count yourself lucky that you do not have a DPF if you are predominantly a town driver.

There are a couple of options open to you - a remap may help and dare I say it a Throttle Chip Box.... I would not seek greater performance but remapping will optimise fueling for better economy. 

Edited by Envy
Typo :-(
  • Like 2

Just to answer two guys above Envy and Bradley. Firstly thanks for your replies.

Bradley - I just use normal unleaded petrol from either Shell or Tesco etc. all tyres seem fine. I havent really figured out how to switch to mpg on the screen I have tried but i dont think my models allows it.

Envy - This car is a petrol. My old passat was 2003. On the Audi it has only done around 89k and car has been kept very well in great condition. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2.0 TFSI Quattro model, I was getting 37mpg on a run at the speed limits.

After a carbon clean that's gone up to 42mpg, I think that's about as good as it'll get for me, she's well serviced and with the Quattro system to heave about I'm happy with the results..

• 2 months later...

Hello Abby,

Before investing your money in magic carbon cleaning systems, I would start by checking and replacing the air filter with a good quality replacement unless you know this has already been done. Always a good insurance. As always, don't go for the cheapest - go for the best at the most competitive price. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks guys. Got the new clutch and flywheel put in. Got LUK parts as heard they were good quality.

Magnet cheers mate will get that looked into.

Do you think the new clutch will help the MPG? Still only getting around 23mpg. will probably be worse now winter has kicked in :(

Hello Abby,

Is the car getting up to temperature reasonably quickly and then holding that (normal) temperature under all driving conditions? 

On the check the simple things first principle, have you checked the tyre pressures? You say the tyres are good but....

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Yep Magnet temp is all fine.

Went into Audi a few weeks ago for a check up. Only thing they mentioned was the ''clutch master cylinder with the pedal sender and the parking break control unit'' 

Everything else was fine. attached video if you guys want to have a look.

Thanks 

6360305.mp4