Windscreen Washer Fault

Andy Fitz

I have a windscreen washer and intermittent wiper fault on 2011 A4.

If it is not the control stalk on the steering column, what operates the washer and wiper functions after the stalk? Is it simple relays or an ECU and where would they be located?

Funnily enough just joined to ask similar question, are your symptoms same as mine?

If so afraid I don't have any answers but interesting if it is as cant find anyone else with similar issues on google

Yes, my fault is pretty much the same, in the intermittent position the wipers can work properly (the wash will also work at this time) but sometimes it will work as single speed wipe or not at all, when this happens the wash does not work either. Moving the stalk rapidly between different positions sometimes gets it to work normally again.

Like you I'm not sure how to safely remove the steering wheel to get to the stalk which is why I was going to start by checking relays or the ECU that might switch these functions after the stalk

Yeah does sound the same, and likewise wash / intermittent does seem to be linked, they either both work or don't.

I am taking gamble with the stalks first, managed to get cheap set on eBay (without CC) which I am hoping I can either transplant CC from mine into or just take the wiper section out and put into mine.

Will keep you updated with how I get on with that.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll be very interested in how you get on. I'm confused though about the cruise control that you mention, my cruise control is on a completely different stalk on the left side of the column behind the indicator stalk.

The stalks are sold as one complete unit (e.g. wipers, indicators & cruise control) that said they do look modular albeit a few torx screws holding them together but not seen the individual stalks (even CC) for sale only the complete units so don't know how mix and match friendly they are...

s-l1600.jpg

Received replacement I ordered today. first indication is that it seems to be resolved (but being an intermittent fault I cant say 100% but tried a few times from ignition off and worked first time every time, I've not had it work first time in a long while normally have to fiddle with wipers first to get it working if I can)

Now first off cruise control is definitely not able to move across, the 3 screws in the block above are just a little cover, everything is molded into plastic and non CC stalks just do not have the necessary molding to put stalk in.

That said wiper is swapable albeit a bit fiddly, basically there is a small L shaped circuit board on the back with 2 contact sliders which are for the main functions (up and down, pull in) which mine looked a bit worn compared to replacement one. I may have got away with swapping just that (2 torx screws and a plug would have taken 2 seconds to swap) but have seen a link between the top intermittent adjustment on stalk and the fault so wanted to replace the actual stalk as well, this was a bit more fiddly but is easily doable.

So bottom line is it seems to have gone away now for the cost of £25 for a cheap set of stalks on eBay and a bit of time swapping things over. If I wanted to do it without swapping a set of stalks with CC were selling for (~£200)

Fingers crossed now it stays working... Will update here in a week or so with long term prognosis.

Super easy... http://www.audienthusiasts.com/ProjectSteeringSwap.html

Had to take mine off again this morning as putting the donor one back together in case I ever need more bits from it I was left with a cruise control cover which I forgot to put back on mine after checking if I could swap that off... Including swapping out the stalk I'd say about 45min to an hours work first time. 

If you're swapping the stalk the only tool extra you need is a T8 bit for small screws on the stalks, this was a bit of a pain as all my mechanic sets only went down to T10 but luckily had one in a mini set I got for phones. 

If you do want to try that let me know and I'll give you a full write up on that part. 

Remove complete unit then main central ring (one T8 screw in middle at bottom and two clips at top) and put to one side. 

Remove side cover over indicator stalk (3 clips one hidden a bit under plastic, Found easiest to unclip that one first with small screwdriver) don't seem to be totally removable as don't fit over intermittent switch at top just move out of the way. 

Remove circuit board from wiper stalk first (3 T8 screws) lift up and unplug. You'll then see two slider contacts lift these off they just sit on top remembering orientation. 

Remove top cover over stalk (2 T8 screws) and lift off. 

Take note of the cable routing for replacing, there is a slot in plastic it goes through, to remove stalk push stalk slightly towards center and lift up (as if using washers) and should lift straight out. 

Refit is reversal when putting stalk in ensure the metal bar is sitting in-between main stalk and the plastic tab at bottom. The inside end of stalk is sprung loaded so place that lined up and push stalk in towards center then down on the tab in casing it sits on. 

Triple check wiring routing and then reassemble. 

One final thing when reattaching air bag check wiring is pushed down into routing in steering wheel... Mine wasn't and it shifted next to bolt hole for airbag, managed to slice through it and lost all steering controls *DOH* so had to solder that back together yesterday. 

Happy to say mine still working and would have definitely played up by now.

Swapped my stalk this weekend and so far so good, nice to have a working windscreen wash again. Thanks for doing the donkey work and leaving the instructions, it made the swap very easy to do. I have an airbag warning light now but I think this can just be reset by my garage.

Hopefully if anyone else has this problem (We can't be the only ones) this post will help.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...
On 8/10/2017 at 7:59 PM, Via said:

I have had this same problem for years and years (2008 A4 B8). I have once changed the new stalk (maybe 2014) and if I remember it worked little while (not so sure because you all know what I mean). I have now the same problem again and it feels more relay problem but I cant find information about what relay uses washer motor. It has nothing to do with wipers as far as I know.. Any Ideas?

• 2 weeks later...