Slight knock / tapping

Plym.nick

Hi recently purchased an 2002 a4 1.9 tdi se , fsh 117000 miles , new cam belt and water pump , very tidy . Got it for a grand so think I did ok . Also the clutch and dmf ( bill for 800) done at 112000.

couple of minor niggles that I'm hoping won't be expensive , the temp gauge has tantrums , half the time it sit spot on the 90 mark never moves , then I can go around a corner and it will go to zero , back up to 90 then sit at 70 then back to 90 , it never goes above though .

next I have an annoying tap / knock on accelerating and deceleration coming from somewhere around drivers door/ seat ?? It's like a very light clunk very light almost a click? 

Finally the the drivers door won't lock by the remote ? The rest of the car does and it does lock by the key .

apart from that I'm happy and with the niggles I think it was well worth the grand . Any advice will be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Hi Nick....welcome to the Forum

To start with, the temp gauge is more than likely a loose wire on the connector attaching to the sensor...seen it a few times...easy to identify and repair.

The tapping/knocking noise may possibly be something left loose when the gearbox was removed and refitted...worth checking movement on the engine (leave in first gear with the engine and handbrake off and rock backwards and forwards quite rigorously to hear for any knocking.

The remote...there are quite a few posts on this forum for possible solutions...worth a trawl and trial and error until you find something that works.

Good to have you onboard

Cheers,  Trevor

• Like 1

Hi Nick

Welcome to the forum! :)

Trevor has pretty much covered it really, You found a good car for that price , the niggles don't sound expensive just them annoying little things that pop up every so often :)

Is the clicking a inside the car sort of sound or underneath the car sound, could always see if all the bolts holding the seat are secure or try moving the seat about till it clicks into position and see if that helps it. 

Kind regards

Bradley

• Like 2

Hi and thanks guys for your replies , the knocking noise is outside underneath my feet , possibly drive related ? As its not there over bumps but can be heard cornering at low speed and when pressing and releasing the accelerator, not when breaking .

cv joint? 

Anyway it's a niggle it drives nicely will get my garage to take a look underneath when my funds replenish lol. It's clearly not  an obvious issue as it passed an mot last week and the only advisory was scored front discs . 

Could be CV joint, would have thought they'd pick it up in an MOT though?

Keep us updated Nick, would be interesting to find out what the issue is! :) (hopefully not too expensive) 

Kind regards

Bradley

• Like 1

Well I decided to give the trader a call who I bought it off , just to see what he said about this knock , I'm impressed so far " don't worry I will sort it for you , " he then text me this evening to say it's booked in at a garage 0930 am Monday next 21st . 

Cant say fairer than that for a £1000  px clearance . Will keep updated with what is done .

• Like 1