Condemned or Fixable

Craig_Anderson

Each to there own on something like this. But in my opinion the cost to get this professionally repaired would probably be more than buying a second hand wheel, which hasn't been repaired and will therefore not be playing on the back of you mind should you ever use the spare.

But like I say each to there own! :whistling1:

• Like 1

I have to agree with Dan, 

it probably is repairable but for the cost of repairing it you probably can get a good 2nd hand wheel. I got a spare wheel for my a6 for £10! 

Iv also moved this topic to the a8 section to make it easier for members to find. 

Cheers

steve 

To weld and rework the wheel would cost a fair bit and also I would not trust the wheel ever again. Alloy is fairly forgiving but even the low heat required to weld it could set up stress fractures elsewhere not dismissing the impact that would have caused that crack int he first place.

Have you thought about finding a considerable pothole then taking a picture as evidence to a local authority to stake a claim? Naughty but has worked for some i know.

Hello Craig,

If it were mine, I would not even THINK about getting it repaired, but what I would think carefully about is getting the existing four road wheels removed and thoroughly inspected for such defects. Your life and other road users lives depend on that action, so I would not delay that. 

From the posted photo, it looks as if there may be another crack site on the same wheel?? 

There is something in my mind going back to when I had hair, that work had been done to assess the effect of road salt on such wheels, which had been shown up at the time to cause corrosion cracking. 

Just throw it away Craig, and thoroughly inspect whatever you buy as a repalcement - and as I said - all other wheels on your car. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 2