DUNLOP MAXX GT Tyres - splitting

skull duggery

Hi all,

New to this forum and meant to be picking up my 2014 A7 Black Edition tomorrow from Arnold Clark. I’ve just saw this thread regarding the Dunlop tyres and it’s really concerning. I know my car has these tyres all round and they all look pretty new when I looked at the amount of tread they have. I really don’t want these tyres on the car so does anyone know where I stand with this before I pay for the car? Was this a certain batch of these tyres or is it every one? Can I raise this issue with Arnold Clark? I’m going to give the tyres a good going over tomorrow when I go there and I’ll try and get in to see the back sidewalls. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Audiowner14 said:

Thanks Steve Q, yeah don’t think they’ll do much but want to check they’re ok before I drive away 

You're welcome and most definitely. If you're getting a warranty then che k it with a fine tooth comb. However I find most dealer warranties (excluding main dealer) aren't worth the paper they're written on. 

At least you'll get 30 days to return the car for a full refund if there's an issue. Plus if you're buying it on finance then you can sometimes reject the car as not fit for purpose. However tyres are a tricky area as technically they're a wear and tear item/consumable item. 

Hello Cameron,

Based on what has been written on here over the last years, this significant issue does not boil down to a few isolated cases. Would I risk my life, and the life of others with a car with these tyres? No I certainly wouldn’t - prior inspection or not. 
Please check, but I believe the availability of alternative brands in these sizes is restricted. 
If it were me, I would be checking that availability and price, and making your decision whether to buy the car as is, or fit an alternative make at your/dealer shared cost. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

11 hours ago, Steve Q said:

You're welcome and most definitely. If you're getting a warranty then che k it with a fine tooth comb. However I find most dealer warranties (excluding main dealer) aren't worth the paper they're written on. 

At least you'll get 30 days to return the car for a full refund if there's an issue. Plus if you're buying it on finance then you can sometimes reject the car as not fit for purpose. However tyres are a tricky area as technically they're a wear and tear item/consumable item. 

Dunlop Goodyear have known about this problem for over 2 years now & I found out when I had to change 2 sets of tyres over 6 month period 

Goodyear Dunlop are Not interested in people’s safety with these tyres 

these tyres when Made were made from the wrong Compound rubber 

Trading standards Birmingham Are Aware Of the problem But again Goodyear Dunlop have Done Nothing Not Any form of Recall with these tyres 

the correct tyres to have on a Audi A7 Are Continental SP5 this tyre was designed for the Audi by Continental tyre company 

14 hours ago, Audiowner14 said:

Hi all,

New to this forum and meant to be picking up my 2014 A7 Black Edition tomorrow from Arnold Clark. I’ve just saw this thread regarding the Dunlop tyres and it’s really concerning. I know my car has these tyres all round and they all look pretty new when I looked at the amount of tread they have. I really don’t want these tyres on the car so does anyone know where I stand with this before I pay for the car? Was this a certain batch of these tyres or is it every one? Can I raise this issue with Arnold Clark? I’m going to give the tyres a good going over tomorrow when I go there and I’ll try and get in to see the back sidewalls. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Get Arnold Clark to swap tyres for Continental SP5 tyres as these tyres are the correct tyres tohave on Audi A7 

Hello Cameron,

I’m sure you are right about Arnold Clark not changing the tyres.

However, I think you are wrong about ‘ keeping on eye on them……’ There is sufficient evidence to point to one/more/all of these tyres failing prematurely, whether you keep an eye in them or not. Apologies if this sounds rather critical and pessimistic, but are you confident that you are going to get sufficient in-journey warning that a tyre is about to become dangerous? 

To me, the question is:- do you bite the bullet and change the tyres now ( by negotiation with Arnold Clark or not), or do you take a chance with something as important as this in full knowledge of sufficient evidence from those who have gone before you? Appreciating this decision can have an adverse affect on your wallet, but………you did ask for advice. 
Of course, my advice may be out of sync. with that of others, but I’d stand by mine as being based on sound logic. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 4 months later...

Hi all

A google search has brought me here as i’m having issues with the dunlop tyres on my 2016 a7

They are splitting around the inside wall and are only 14 months old

I had what i thought was a puncture yesterday on my front left and wasn’t until i pulled it off i saw the splitting got i changed for one of the old tyres i replaced last year and now noticed the the front right is doing the same

Question is what can i do about this, i don’t expect to have to replace these after a year and 7000 miles 

The scary thing as well is that they’re splitting on the inside wall where most people wouldn’t even notice them

Any help greatly appreciated 

Cheers in advance

26 minutes ago, Goreden said:

Hi all

A google search has brought me here as i’m having issues with the dunlop tyres on my 2016 a7

They are splitting around the inside wall and are only 14 months old

I had what i thought was a puncture yesterday on my front left and wasn’t until i pulled it off i saw the splitting got i changed for one of the old tyres i replaced last year and now noticed the the front right is doing the same

Question is what can i do about this, i don’t expect to have to replace these after a year and 7000 miles 

The scary thing as well is that they’re splitting on the inside wall where most people wouldn’t even notice them

Any help greatly appreciated 

Cheers in advance

You should speak to the company that supplies you the tyres or alternatively Dunlop. However the latter might be a waste of time as they do t seem to care that their tyres are dangerous. 

You could also speak to trading standards. 

Hello Dennis,

Thanks for joining the forum. As you will see, you have joined a band of 7 page’s worth of posters with issues with these tyres.

I think that if you study the posts and our responses, you will get the answers that you will need in your plea for help. 

It really all boils down to how far you (in caps) are prepared to go to take action - from simply complaining to the tyre retailer, through to using the media at the highest level.
You will also see there has been very little feedback on success rates on this, so all in all, it really depends whether you are going to be the one who is prepared to take this all the way - or if not.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to come back to us Dennis, with a view on what you decide to do, and how you get on. 
All I can do is to suggest you have a good read, and wish you well with your actions.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I have already emailed dunlop with my views regarding the danger and cost to me etc but expect little response 

I will follow this through with trading standards etc as is completely unfair on people that have paid good money on these “quality brand” tyres

Not only that the danger to people using these tyres and other road users as a result of these failing doesn’t bear thinking about and the fault being so hard to see as well

13 minutes ago, Goreden said:

I have already emailed dunlop with my views regarding the danger and cost to me etc but expect little response 

I will follow this through with trading standards etc as is completely unfair on people that have paid good money on these “quality brand” tyres

Not only that the danger to people using these tyres and other road users as a result of these failing doesn’t bear thinking about and the fault being so hard to see as well

Please keep us posted on how you get on 🙂 hope you get somewhere with them. 

Hello Dennis,

Thanks for updating us on what actions you have taken. 
Apologies, since this is going to sound critical, but you start your latest post by saying it’s unfair on people’s pockets, then as the second point of importance , you reference the safety aspect. 
To me, the importance is absolutely reversed, and I fear that you will not get the response from Dunlop that you need if you follow these two points in that order. 
It wouldn’t surprise me that Trading Standards will ask you for all your personal data, and record the incident on their data base. Whether you will ever get a follow on response Is highly debatable - but we’ll worth a try I guess. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

In my post on here i didn’t really prioritise one over the other to be honest but of course the danger far out ways the money

The money isn’t really the problem although replacing 4 tyres at a cost of nearly £1000 does smart a bit

Although of course i would rather spend it then end up upside down in a ditch

I most definitely made the danger of these tyres my main concern when i contacted dunlop yesterday 

I got the standard email reply back from them yesterday and the offending tyres are going to be sent back to them today with the view that if nothing wrong is found with these tyres i want them back for a second opinion 

Even the garage that i brought these tyres from and they fitted can’t believe how bad they are

They even commented how well the tyres have worn evenly and should have thousands more miles in them and are firmly on my side

Edited by Goreden
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goreden said:

In my post on here i didn’t really prioritise one over the other to be honest but of course the danger far out ways the money

The money isn’t really the problem although replacing 4 tyres at a cost of nearly £1000 does smart a bit

Although of course i would rather spend it then end up upside down in a ditch

I most definitely made the danger of these tyres my main concern when i contacted dunlop yesterday 

I got the standard email reply back from them yesterday and the offending tyres are going to be sent back to them today with the view that if nothing wrong is found with these tyres i want them back for a second opinion 

Even the garage that i brought these tyres from and they fitted can’t believe how bad they are

They even commented how well the tyres have worn evenly and should have thousands more miles in them and are firmly on my side

Make sure you have pictures of the tyres before you send them off. As well as pictures of all the numbers in the side as I'm sure they'll be a batch number or something on them. 

• Like 1

Many thanks Dennis.

Great point Steve. As has been said before, it worth retaining one (typical) tyre as actual evidence - although sending the rest and photos of all - including the one you are restraining as evidence. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 1 year later...

Hi All, 

Just got back from having “another” tyre replaced on my A7.

Decided to do a bit of background research into whether anyone has experienced the same issues and gobsmacked to find out how many of you affected!

I won’t bore you all with the info but long story short, I’ve continued replacing my Dunlop SP Sportmaxx (275/30/21) as and when they’ve failed. I’ve replaced them like for like as they were supposedly Audi recommended tyre for the car! 
Luckily, each time one has failed, it has only been at an inconvenience to me and never a catastrophic disaster.

Each time, it has been the same issue, a split on the inside wall of the tyre (exactly like the other pics on this thread).

Having read all of this, I’m going to get them swapped to an alternative manufacturer! For those of you that have gone to Continentals, are you still running problem free?

Thanks in advance to your replies. 
Wayne

Hello Wayne,

Welcome to the forum, and many thanks for joining. 
Although your post came as a little surprise - some 18 months on - it’s disturbing to hear that the issue with these tyres continues. 
I don’t think there is much more that we can now add to whatever has already been said, and surprisingly there doesn’t seem to have been much evidence of any satisfaction from attempts to deal with Dunlop, and as far as I know - and I could well be very much ill informed on this- nothing in the motoring press or media to highlight the dangerous issue. 
Sorry, I cannot offer you experience of any alternative make, but let’s hope some forum members will soon be along with some help for you. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.