Air suspension light

gsm6575

I drove my car recently and during the 40 minute drive the orange suspension light on the dashboard started flashing.

I pressed the car button on the centre console to show the suspension screen and all the selections were un selectable (comfort, auto, dynamic, etc etc)

When i arrived at my destination and turned the car off and then restarted it the light was gone.

Its been a few days and today the light came back on again and when i stopped and restarted it went off again.

Does this mean my suspension is needing attention?

Hey Scott, what does the manual say about this? 

I ask as I'm wondering if it's a ride height levelling  issue? In failing that I'm wondering if you have an air leak. When the light isn't on are you able to change the cars ride settings? 

Hello Scott,

Sorry to hear of your issue.

On non--Audi marques with air suspension, a very common cause of such issues is wear in the piston ring of the air compressor pump, which is a small unit (about the size of a beans tin). I'm not sure where it's located on the Audi. 

A good contact for Jaguar and LR air suspension piston rings is Bagpipingandy on eBay. Andy is very experienced in the manufacture of rings and overhaul of suspension compressors, and I'm sure would point you in the right direction.

OK, fault code checking might help, but if it were mine I would treat it to a new piston ring anyway due to the age of the car - unless it's a really major job to get at it. Cost about £25 for the part. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2017 at 8:08 AM, Steve Q said:

Hey Scott, what does the manual say about this? 

I ask as I'm wondering if it's a ride height levelling  issue? In failing that I'm wondering if you have an air leak. When the light isn't on are you able to change the cars ride settings? 

Apologies but not had an opportunity to check manual yet, mainly due to my terrible memory when im in the car or near it.
I know the ride heights are all selectable when the light isnt on though.

On 8/18/2017 at 9:02 AM, Magnet said:

Hello Scott,

Sorry to hear of your issue.

On non--Audi marques with air suspension, a very common cause of such issues is wear in the piston ring of the air compressor pump, which is a small unit (about the size of a beans tin). I'm not sure where it's located on the Audi. 

A good contact for Jaguar and LR air suspension piston rings is Bagpipingandy on EBay. Andy is very experienced in the manufacture of rings and overhaul of suspension compressors, and I'm sure would point you in the right direction.

OK, fault code checking might help, but if it were mine I would treat it to a new piston ring anyway due to the age of the car - unless it's a really major job to get at it. Cost about £25 for the part. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks for the reply gareth, appreciate that help...