Electronic Handbrake help!

KAJ

Hi, i have an A3 Sline Quattro, manual transmission with an electronic handbrake...just after some advice... 

When starting the engine and going to pull away, I am finding that the brakes seem to be sticking, I'm having to rev quite a lot for the electronic handbrake to finally release then the car sort of lurches forward.  It doesn't happen all the time, it's intermittent, but has happened when pulling out of junctions, setting off from traffic lights, and has even happened when reversing then changing to first gear and going to set off.   When the car is behaving as it should, it reaches bite point and releases the electronic brakes smoothly and with minimal effort...normal basically!

My previous car ( Nissan) had an electronic handbrake which worked without issue, and I've owned A3s in the past too, again without issue.  I always have my seatbelt on and the doors closed, so it's not an issue with that.  

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!

It is possible that the pistons and windup mechanics needs a clean . Also does it feel on both wheels or one ? It might be one of the epb motors failing. Have you had vcds scan to see if there are any faults ?

56 minutes ago, niedzial1983 said:

It is possible that the pistons and windup mechanics needs a clean . Also does it feel on both wheels or one ? It might be one of the epb motors failing. Have you had vcds scan to see if there are any faults ?

Hi, thanks for your reply!  I've only owned the car for 7wks, it was an ex demo car at an Audi dealership.  I've had the car into my local Audi dealership, who found a fault adjusted the sensors, which seemed to work for 2weeks, but then the 'sticking' started again.  After lots of backwards and forwards with the dealership I purchased from they eventually came to collect the car and left with me a courtesy car whilst they took my car for investigation.  The courtesy car (A3 saloon with electronic parking brake) was absolutely fine, no issues with the parking brake.  The dealership told me they couldn't find a fault but had changed the rear brake pads and discs as they were blue from overheating, which suggested it had been sticking.  I got my car back and again all seemed great, until 3weeks later, it starts sticking again!!!  It's just so frustrating.  THe dealership are now getting snippy with me and telling me there is no fault as they couldn't be find one when they took the car, be don't seem to be understanding that it's intermittent- for example, it was sticking this morning, but driven perfectly this afternoon.

thanks, Kirstin

• 1 month later...
On 18/08/2017 at 1:42 PM, KAJ said:

Hi, i have an A3 Sline Quattro, manual transmission with an electronic handbrake...just after some advice... 

When starting the engine and going to pull away, I am finding that the brakes seem to be sticking, I'm having to rev quite a lot for the electronic handbrake to finally release then the car sort of lurches forward.  It doesn't happen all the time, it's intermittent, but has happened when pulling out of junctions, setting off from traffic lights, and has even happened when reversing then changing to first gear and going to set off.   When the car is behaving as it should, it reaches bite point and releases the electronic brakes smoothly and with minimal effort...normal basically!

My previous car ( Nissan) had an electronic handbrake which worked without issue, and I've owned A3s in the past too, again without issue.  I always have my seatbelt on and the doors closed, so it's not an issue with that.  

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!

I have only had my car for a few weeks. A3 TDI S line Quattro. I have exactly the same intermittent issue. It is going in to the dealer's next month to get checked. 

I also have an issue with the gearbox being very notchy especially going into 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Cheers

Dave

• 1 month later...

Car was in at dealer's recently.

They "reset" the handbrake and it's been better but still stuck once the other day. It's been alright since.

The gear changes are very notchy in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and reverse but they reckon that is normal. I do not agree and will speak to Audi HQ about it.

There's a very faint whine too. I have only heard it on a couple of occasions on a very smooth quit road. They said is from the haldex and is normal.

The mmi and instrument cluster flicker intermittently but they didn't see it so I will monitor it.

Is the whine and gear changes the same in other folks cars??

• 11 months later...

I've got a 17 plate A3 Quattro and have had intermittent issues with the handbrake sticking since i bought it (new). When I try to pull away the handbrake sticks. This can be when i am starting off or pulling away having engaged the handbrake (eg at traffic lights). Car has been in to garage once and they couldn't detect a problem. It is really intermittent. but both an Audi employee and RAC have seen for themselves there is an issue. 

Must admit it's put me off Audis.... 

any advice? and is it worth returning to the dealer?

12 hours ago, Kate said:

I've got a 17 plate A3 Quattro and have had intermittent issues with the handbrake sticking since i bought it (new). When I try to pull away the handbrake sticks. This can be when i am starting off or pulling away having engaged the handbrake (eg at traffic lights). Car has been in to garage once and they couldn't detect a problem. It is really intermittent. but both an Audi employee and RAC have seen for themselves there is an issue. 

Must admit it's put me off Audis.... 

any advice? and is it worth returning to the dealer?

Hi Kate,

i had had a very long battle with my A3 Quattro.  The dealership I purchased from denied all acceptance of there being a fault so I took it to Audi UK.  My local dealership (50 mile round trip away!) were great, but said they had to witness the fault for themselves before the warranty would cover it so it took a year in total of too-ing and frowing as the fault was intermittent.  Things reached a head when it faulted so much that I couldn’t release the auto hand break at all from a set of lights on a national speed limit dual carriageway, and a lorry travelling at 60 mph almost ploughed into the back of me - the most terrifying moment of my life! I rang Audi assist and had the car retrieved and taken to the local dealership.  They couldn’t release it either so sent a report to Audi uk...who then admitted they knew about the fault but do not have a fix!! Because of this, the purchase dealership had to buy the car back off me for full purchase price minus mileage.

Audi UK don’t have a fix, so take your car back to the dealership, contact Audi uk and stand your ground.   Good luck 😉 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I am still getting this intermittent issue. It's quite dangerous and has nearly caused an accident a few times. The dealer has had it in on several occasions and witnessed it but still no fix. It has now caused a shudder from the clutch and flywheel and it was in to get an oil leak checked recently and they reported that the rear disks and pads needed replaced as they were scored and worn. Nearly £400 to fix. 

Audi UK are not interested.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Daughter's 2018 A3....7500 miles....she draws to a halt gets out of the car and the electronic handbrake comes on. When she is not in the locked car the handbrake comes off and the car rolls into a wall. She is understandably upset.....she only bought the car at the weekend. Any similar occurrences?

I have seen other posts about that happening. My warranty is expired now and none of 3 different dealers ever fixed the issue. They just deny all knowledge that there are issues with these handbrake (even when it stuck on in the dealership car park).

I hope you can get it sorted out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nick Faulkner, my A3 has rolled twice when I'm in the car. It's an 2018. It's happened to me and another driver we both had the same issue. Started the engine hadn't put the seatbelt on was turning the heater on and realised it was rolling. Hit the house. We hadn't touched the handbrake. It's in the dealership just now. Any idea if others have had this issue? Cheers 

• 3 years later...

I have had my Audi A3 for 4 years.  Two months ago the electronic handbrake would not release at a roundabout on a major A road.  Nightmare.  Worked ok again after this but happened agsin a month later.  Audi garage could not find a fault.  Now happened again at home.  I am frightened to drive.  Anyone got a resolution on this?