New 1.5 tfsi engine

Mark57hv

Hi all 

I've just replaced my 2014 A3 1.4 tfsi with a  2017 1.5tfsi. Both cars are 150 bhp and in theory the new engine should be easier to drive with more low down grunt available.

However, I'm very disappointed with the performance of the new car.  The car doesn't accelerate like the old car and needs a lot more gear changing to get it moving.  Even the wife has said the same thing!  

Has anyone else driven the new 1.5 engine and have any comments on it?  I know it takes a while for a motor to loosen up but the old car felt quick from day one which the new one doesn't at all.

Welcome to the forum Mark :) 

sorry to hear your not happy with your a3. Unfortunately I'm unable to help as iv not driven an a3 with the 1.5 engine. Have you had a diagnostic check run on it at all? 

However the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch and I'm sure one of them can help you more :) 

cheers

steve 

9 hours ago, Mark57hv said:

Cheers Steve.

I am going to book it in to the local dealer and see what they say.  Hopefully there is a problem as it's chalk and cheese compar ed to the current car.

Deffo worth a shot! How does it compare to the car you test drive before ordering it? 

• 1 month later...

Hello Mark,

Just picked up my new A3 1.5 manual.  Really pleased with the engine performance, having come from a Golf 1.4.  Certainly no lack of 'go' at any point.  This is all subjective, of course, as something I'm satisfied with might not please you, but just saying I'm happy with the performance from day 1.

JohnO

On 04/09/2017 at 3:58 AM, Mark57hv said:

Hi all 

I've just replaced my 2014 A3 1.4 tfsi with a  2017 1.5tfsi. Both cars are 150 bhp and in theory the new engine should be easier to drive with more low down grunt available.

However, I'm very disappointed with the performance of the new car.  The car doesn't accelerate like the old car and needs a lot more gear changing to get it moving.  Even the wife has said the same thing!  

Has anyone else driven the new 1.5 engine and have any comments on it?  I know it takes a while for a motor to loosen up but the old car felt quick from day one which the new one doesn't at all.

Hi Mark,

Did you get anywhere with this?  I have traded in a 2014 1.4 TFSI Manual for a 2017 Auto and I am sure that something isn't right.  A colleague has a 2017 1.4 TFSI Auto and it is really smooth whereas my 1.5 TFSI is impossible to pull away smoothly in and just seems to change gear far to often when you start to push it even slightly.  After driving the 1.4 today I have booked mine in to Audi.

Hi Rich

I've got the car booked in with Bristol Audi next week so let's see what they say.

my car judders in third and fourth when you accelerate and feels like the cylinder on demand is cutting in and out.  Not good and I had trouble keeping up with Citroen C1 the other day on a B road.

Fuel consumption is also at least 10% worse than the old car so a step back for Audi unless the emissions are an improvement which might be the reason for drop in performance ......

I will let you know how things go next week.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Audi have called and advised there is a problem with the 1.5 engine's acceleration in first and third gear and are working on a solution at the moment.  They will get back in touch once they have worked it out and will apply the fix.

i would get in touch with Audi and let them know you know there is a problem.  Hope this helps.

Thanks for the update Mark.   My car is with Listers in Stratford having a new gearbox fitted so just hoping that resolves it.  Listers have been excellent so far and the 67 plate 1.5 tfsi they have loaned me is much better than my 17 plate so fingers crossed! 

• 9 months later...

I bought an A3 1.5 TFSI manual at the end of July 2018 and have the same hesitation when pulling away in 1st gear. Interestingly there is no problem when reversing. Had the car in to be looked at last week but no fault found so the technicians contacted Audi Technical who said there is a known problem with this engine and they are working on a fix. However, as this problem seems to have been ongoing since at least September 2017 I don't think any of us should expect the fix anytime soon. I have just emailed customer services requesting a replacement car minus the problem, haha.

I was given an A3 2 ltr diesel, manual as a courtesy car. Despite both giving 150 bhp and the TFSI being marginally quicker 0-60 on paper,  the diesel was much more responsive, had much better acceleration and gave 20 mpg more. Interesting stuff and showed me that the 1.5 petrol engine is definitely not right.

What I want to know is, why are Audi continuing to sell a car with a known fault?

Hi Nick

Thanks for getting in touch and sort of glad to hear you’re having the same problems as me - least I’m not imagining it.

The ombudsman have been investigating the case for me and last week the RAC came to do an independent assessment of the car.

Ive not heard back from the RAC so not sure what they thought of the car and Audi also have not been able to advise of a date for the fix so still frustrated! 

Will let you know any updates when I hear more.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mark, I have 2017 a3 1.5 s line stronic and it has same problem as yours. Car has been into Audi twice now first time it was engine management software update and just today they said there's a problem but Audi still trying to work out a fix for it. What was outcome of yours, Stewart

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy

The RAC report says there was nothing wrong with the car but it appears the problems are being deemed as ‘characteristics’ of the type of vehicle.  The ombudsman needs to decide if it is reasonable for a car of this type to have such ‘characteristics’ .

So no real progress I’m afraid but will let you know when I hear more.

Mark

Hi Mark

I have been having discussions with my dealer and the new line up of cars will have a new 1.5 petrol engine designated the 35. Because of this I can’t see Audi devoting too much time to the current problem, but I could be wrong. I was originally going for the 2ltr diesel but because of the government’s current attitude to diesel I went petrol but was never really happy that I did because of the mileage benefit. I told the dealer that under the Sale of Goods Act, if my goods are not fit for purpose that I was entitled to either a replacement or my money back. However, I told them that I would be prepared to accept a diesel (almost identical performance to the petrol) and pay the difference. Initially they were wanting to treat the transaction as a new purchase and offered me about £16500 for my 2.5 month old car. I said I was only prepared to pay the difference between the petrol and diesel version which is about £1500. They managed to get a goodwill contribution from Audi and I have just got an order in for a new 2 ltr diesel although I will be paying £2100, not £1500. Unfortunately the wheel and tyre insurance, dent insurance, Gap insurance and Gardex treatment that I put on my car are not transferable, so I guess I’ve lost another £1500 there but I got the feeling there was nothing else on the table from Audi or the dealer so I bit the bullet on that one.

I think that maybe the best course of action is to get your dealer to negotiate a hefty discount with Audi on a new model car. Hopefully the new 35 engine will be problem free! I’m fairly happy now as I will have a 68 or maybe 19 registration as opposed to my 18 and have not taken the high depreciation hit that normally comes with a car leaving the showroom.

This is not the ideal solution and Audi should really have come up with a fix for this problem by now, but they want to keep us as customers and hopefully will give a generous discount on a new car if that’s the route you decide to take.

2 hours ago, mistac said:

I have the 1.4 tfsi stronic and no such issues.

My 1.4 TFSI STronic has been excellent, but the lease is up next April. I was planning to get another A3, which would presumably come with the 1.5 litre unit, but these posts are giving me cause for concern.

The 1.4 litre unit (assuming it's the same as mine - same quoted bhp and torque figures) continues to be used in other VAG models, including Skoda and SEAT; even the A5 uses it as its base petrol unit, so was the 1.5 introduced to replace the 1.4 across the board, and have they backed off the switch because of problems with the newer unit in the A3?

I'll continue to follow this thread with interest.

Yes I was really happy with the 1.4tfsi as well which I had before changing to the 1.5 which is why I’ve been able to notice the difference - and owned both models for a few weeks so was able to compare directly.

i agree with your comment re the 1.5 not going in the other Audi range - it does look odd that Audi have not introduced what they claimed was a better more efficient unit since last year when the 1.5 was introduced.

will keep you posted!

Ive recently swapped from a 2.0tdi to the 1.5 A3 as it appeared to be the engine dealers are pushing. Ours has been back for the same issues listed above as soon as we collected (following a software update) it was like a different car but sadly that was short lived and has settled back into its previous state which I can only assume down to the ecu being reset. It’s booked back in again next week for them to take another look. As mentioned in previous comments I have the same issues but also things like the stop start disabling when in traffic and having to manually restart, and the car revs of its own accord very occasionally.

I also had the 1.4 before this one and it was fine but as they were replaceing it with the 1.5 there was no other option 

and having had 5 x A3's previously with no problems just thought I was unlucky with this one but it seams not by all the post's 

https://www.whatcar.com/car-leasing/deals/personal/audi/a3-cabriolet/35-tfsi-sport-2dr-s-tronic/3263919/44782728/

The 1.5 auto version of my A3 Cabrio is now being described as "Audi A3 Cabriolet 35 TFSI Sport 2dr S Tronic".

Does anyone know if this is a different engine, or just a new name for the one we're discussing?

I spoke to a salesman a couple of weeks ago and he told me the 35 will have a new 1.5ltr engine. It seems that all their new engines are going through testing for emissions etc at the moment and he was not sure when they would be available but said it could be up to 6 months. I read on here earlier that all the petrol and diesel engines have failed testing.

if this is the case that the new ? engine is replacing the existing 1-5

why are all dealers told this instead of just fobbing people off or trying to sell them something more expensive 

On 10/18/2018 at 9:12 AM, bens3 said:

Ive recently swapped from a 2.0tdi to the 1.5 A3 as it appeared to be the engine dealers are pushing. Ours has been back for the same issues listed above as soon as we collected (following a software update) it was like a different car but sadly that was short lived and has settled back into its previous state which I can only assume down to the ecu being reset. It’s booked back in again next week for them to take another look. As mentioned in previous comments I have the same issues but also things like the stop start disabling when in traffic and having to manually restart, and the car revs of its own accord very occasionally.

Small update not really any further forward car has been in since Monday diagnostics has shown no problem, although i took a technician out on a test drive and he agreed there seemed several flat spots. They have kept the car to check any bulletins and send a report to Audi. The issue has been amplified with the courtesy being a 1.4 A1 which seems miles apart from our 1.5 appreciate it’s a smaller car but seems much much more responsive