Need advice on clutch

Martiny95

I bought an a4 1.8t quattro a week or so ago and realised the clutch is on its way out. It slips every now and again. Could anybody recommend a good reasonably priced clutch to buy? I don't want to spend an absolute fortune but at the same time I don't want cheap !Removed!. Any advice is much appreciated. 

Hello Martin,

Sorry to hear you have clutch problems. If you are not going for VAG parts (available at discount) then the only aftermarket make I would fit would be LUK. 

You should find these on the online auction site, or probably you local motor factors. I have used a factors called BuyPartsBy (no connection and I'm sure there are others equally as good) and found them to be very competitive and a good service. If you did want a contact for VAG parts at discount (again no connection) then I can let you know which one I have used. 

Summary:- I would only use LUK. Others may well suggest good alternatives as well. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth

Thanks for the advice, I will look into it. If you could tell me the contact you used for vag parts that would be great! Also Am I right in thinking it would take roughly 6 hours labour to carry out the work? 

Thanks, Martin.

21 hours ago, Martiny95 said:

I bought an a4 1.8t quattro a week or so ago and realised the clutch is on its way out. It slips every now and again. Could anybody recommend a good reasonably priced clutch to buy? I don't want to spend an absolute fortune but at the same time I don't want cheap !Removed!. Any advice is much appreciated. 

was it a dealer or private buy? if a dealer was no warranty given 

Hello Martin,

I have used Rainsworth Skoda (Nottingham area I think) who operate on eBay as the Skoda Parts Shop. If you fail to find them then please come back and I'll dig it out of the file for you. Although they usually offer a reasonable discount, I doubt if it will be competitive with the 'best shop around" price for the LUK kit, and I wouldn't  hesitate to use use this alternative, but well worth having the comparison before going ahead.

6 hours would seem reasonable to me, but there should be a definite confirmable hours on a garage computer time listing. Not the job you would want to entrust for this age of car - money wise -to a main dealer. A trusted local garage should be able to help. 

Good luck,

Gareth.