Ad-blue Query

Wesley949

Hi All,

I have a 2016 A6 2.0 TDi S-Line Ultra (190PS) and purchased the car new back in late-November 2016 (vehicle already built to standard spec) and I have in this time, covered 8700-miles and its not a year old yet.

I have not had any Ad-blue Refill warnings yet and was wondering when the most likely time will be?  

In October, I will be driving from Essex to the Lake District and with daily driving, might push me near or over the 10,000-miles mark which is more than I like but I love driving this car.  Would it be worth carrying x4 easy top-up Refill bottles in my car in case?  I understand it is a 17-litre tank and x4 bottles will only reset the warning.  I was looking in to getting a 10-litre Refill tank/bottle with a separate Audi/VW adaptor but I do not want this in my car the entire trip.  I am covered with the AA Breakdown that was issued through my Audi Dealer and was wondering if they keep Ad-blue in their vans if I ever get caught anywhere and need assistance from them.  Will they charge me?

Is it possible, to Refill Ad-blue in to the tank before the warning has come on or will this cause issues with the system?  

As always, many thanks for your assistance.

Hi Wesley

I would definitely fill it up before you set off....if the low level warning light comes on and it is ignored over a period of time then the engine will shut down and will require dealer reprogramming to reset it, so definitely don't run it low!

Have a good trip, Cheers  Trevor

The warning gives you plenty of notice so don't panic - most forecourts now have it for sale but I have found Amazon cheapest - see below.

Normally comes on after about 10k miles.

Do not go for any overpriced VAG special fitting bottle - the generic spout will fit and your wheel brace undoes the cap on the car. I use a speed brace and socket.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019CMLYO2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

VAG are happy to sell if for +/- £5 / litre - some folk are happy to pay that...

Relax and enjoy the ride and do not panic about it. It ain't so bad as some would like you believe.

• Like 1

Ooh, first post and I can answer a question!!

The Ad-blue warning on my A6 came on a few weeks ago and it estimated I had 1500 miles still to go, so you get plenty of chance to fill up.

Most motor spares shop sell it in 10 litre containers which come with a filler tube. Some filling stations have it on pump but these are still quite rare.

I think all A6 diesels have the filler next to the fuel filler but some manufacturers hide them away in the boot or engine bay meaning it's a pain to fill. The Audi is easy.

Audi claim the system won't recognise a top up of below 4 or 5 litres so you might as well shove 10 litres in and forget about it.

It might take a couple of minutes to recognise it's been filled so don't worry if the warning stays on for a short period.

And don't mix it with the fuel whatever you do!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all of your replies guys, always very helpful so thank-you for taking your time to reply.

I actually went to my Audi Service Centre and it actually cost me £13.00 to fill up the Adblue tank.  From memory, I think it was about 7-litres to fill-up. I know I could have purchased a bottle myself but the whole process from dropping off the car to driving away (including payment) was 20-minutes and was definitely hassle-free and is guaranteed for at least another 10,000 miles I assume.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...