Dash cam wiring

WPAWS

@niedzial1983 thanks for your help yesterday at the show, i have now all the correct parts i need to wire in the dash cam as suggested the ACC Red wire is going to the 5A Electric parking brake fuse, black earth wire will be earthed with top bolt.

Now the yellow wire(Battery) is the one i cant remember where you suggested should fuse with?

20170917_111455.jpg

20170917_111531.jpg

20170917_111542.jpg

lmao back to square one just went to check everything is ok with the dash cam and car and i think the cam has drained the battery.

as some of you know i have had a drained battery not long back so i`m thinking it's time to replace the battery  which after all is 9 years old 

i may of wired the cam wrong not sure but was working fine

ACC Red wire was going to the 5A Electric parking brake fuse

yellow wire (Battery) i fused to 40A Blower fuse

oh well i`ll leave cam disconnected until i get the new battery

Called my garage to ask if they can do the vag and i wont need to code it would only need it if it was a brand new car 

Will look more for a better quailty battery too

Good to meet you on Saturday Paul A6 

Sometimes it's hard to find a true ignition fed power source in the fusebox as is the case on my Honda CR-V...could not find a single feed in there...ended up with a permanent feed and selected then dash cam (Nextbase 512GW) to power down after a few minutes. The good thing about this is it will not drain the battery and also it comes alive if the car is knocked so good for added security.

As with the replacement battery, 'you get what you pay for' and quality is not cheap but I know @Magnet will back me up on this one.....get a branded make and albeit you pay for it, you won't regret it.  If you are in Bournemouth area at any time, there is a superb Battery wholesaler, Bournemouth Battery Centre who can supply a branded one at a very reasonable cost (even cheaper if I give you my trade account name, let me know if you need it).

Also, niedzial1983 is correct as it will need coding in for the vehicle to recognise the new battery charge status, otherwise it will always work off the old battery condition and not charge properly. It's a quick procedure that can be done by anyone with a VagCom.

Let us know how you get on with it all

Cheers,  Trevor

Just off the phone with them and i`m looking at about £140 which seems fair 

Called a local garage and they can fit a Lucas battery for £75.80 i believe Lucas are a good brand

Hello Paul,

Reasonable assumption that Lucas are/were  a good brand. Well that would be true if you were as old as me! ,  but..... Now just a bought out brand name I'm afraid - to give some degree of respectability. Would I spend well earned £75.80 on one?? Guess the answer. 

Trevor has it spot on :- you get what you pay for, and batteries are a critical component in this electronic age.

I would not buy a battery with less than a 4 year warranty. This minimises the not-so-good end of the market.

You could try Battery Warehouse (or similar name) in Tewkesbury - you will find them via. Google. No connection except I have bought from them via mail order and find their quality, prices and service to be very good. No doubt there are others equally as good. Might be worth considering spending your money once and wisely.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

26 minutes ago, Paul A6 said:

@Magnet thanks for that i have taken a look and they have Varta for my car which looks the same as i already have so may go with that one 

http://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/varta-h3.html

Looks small . My batter dimentions are 

Length 393 mm
Width 175 mm

25 minutes ago, niedzial1983 said:

Looks small . My batter dimentions are 

Length 393 mm
Width 175 mm

Starting to give up lol, just measured mine and its 390 x 190 oh well back to searching again

Please don't give up Paul. Get some assistance from your good mate Percy Verance! 

Varta - now you are talking. Great positive move.

Now Paul, you know what they say about size don't you - it's not everything!  

Check what it says on the battery you have on the car (assuming no one has fitted a lower replacement). Look at the Ah rating (say around 60Ah or whatever). The other important part of the specification is the cold cranking current (say around in excess of 500 Amps + or whatever). 

Talk to the nice folks in Tewkesbury again when you are armed with this information, plus the dimensions. Take their advice on what they have listed for your model car, and compare the figures with what your existing battery is rated. Battery output can now be achieved in smaller dimensions, so don't hang your hat solely on the physical size. 

It could be wise to check the battery tray and the battery securing arrangements to see what alternative high rated battery will fit. You can sometimes get a higher output battery for a very marginal price increase. Then you will have a big one! 

Good luck,

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Magnet said:

Please don't give up Paul. Get some assistance from your good mate Percy Verance! 

Varta - now you are talking. Great positive move.

Now Paul, you know what they say about size don't you - it's not everything!  

Check what it says on the battery you have on the car (assuming no one has fitted a lower replacement). Look at the Ah rating (say around 60Ah or whatever). The other important part of the specification is the cold cranking current (say around in excess of 500 Amps + or whatever). 

Talk to the nice folks in Tewkesbury again when you are armed with this information, plus the dimensions. Take their advice on what they have listed for your model car, and compare the figures with what your existing battery is rated. Battery output can now be achieved in smaller dimensions, so don't hang your hat solely on the physical size. 

It could be wise to check the battery tray and the battery securing arrangements to see what alternative high rated battery will fit. You can sometimes get a higher output battery for a very marginal price increase. Then you will have a big one! 

Good luck,

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Cheers Gareth, gave them a call and we found a battery that meets all the requirements :yahoo:

http://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/varta-i1.html#reviewTab|productCollateralTabs1

• Like 2

Car back up and running, still ordering a new battery at the end of the month, i found a thread on my dash cam with recommended settings to help with battery saving i have now set up the cam with the new settings.

i will update tomorrow if the battery drains or not :whistling1:

new battery on the car which may of been a waste of £118 as i had wired up the dash cam wrong which is now working fine :yahoo:but on the upside i have improved the cold start crank from 510 to 920 so that should see me through the toughest of winters

• Like 2