Rear Disc back plate rusted through

WelshSue

Hello Susan,

Yes, it has to be replaced. The part is not too expensive as I recall, but I believe it is a main dealer part only. Should be available with a bit of discount by talking nicely in Welsh! 

Yes, these simply painted mild steel parts do rust and bits fall off them. Not uncommon, and it's usually the N/S goes first ad you would expect. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks for the replies Guy's. I've had a look on the interweb. Seller on eBay had them for £59.99 for the pair, but thought I'd check elsewhere & found them on Amazon for £38.44 for the pair + £3.99 p&p. Should be here in the next few days. Looks fairly easy to fit(looking at Elsawin) Brake caliper off,Disc off, remove ABS sensor then unbolt hub.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took rear N/S wheel off yesterday to replace the splash guard. Couldn't get the Hub bolts off as completely seized on. What was left of splash guard fell off!!:mad2: Going to take to local garage for them to see if they can get the bolts out. 

DSCF2115.JPG

DSCF2116.JPG

Hello Sue,

Well that makes the ones which I change on the A3 look pretty good! 

In the first photo, it appears to show a pair? of brake pipes clipped to the suspension arm. The nearest one seems to be rustier than you would like. Wondered if this has been carefully examined.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

2 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Sue,

Well that makes the ones which I change on the A3 look pretty good! 

In the first photo, it appears to show a pair? of brake pipes clipped to the suspension arm. The nearest one seems to be rustier than you would like. Wondered if this has been carefully examined.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Both pipes are fine,It was just a build up of dirt. Used a stiff brush then washed it off,dried & smeared with vaseline