Show Report - Audi Driver International 2017

Steve Q

Saturday 16th September saw the return of the Audi Driver International Show at Castle Combe race circuit and hosted by the Audi Driver International Magazine.

For the members who attended, it was an early start as some of us met for Breakfast at Chippenham Premier Inn. This gave us a chance to get to know one another and it set us up for the great day ahead however did mean we were slightly late getting to Castle Combe and were beaten to our spot by fellow members who hadn’t come for breakfast. Whilst we were setting up it started to rain however this didn’t dampen the spirits of those who attended.

Our club display was set off to the left from the entrance and was placed opposite the Audi Owners Club.co.uk stand. Once we were set up we all were able to chat and to get to know one another. We had a very good display which consisted of a R8, RS5, RS6 C5, A6 C5, A6 C6 Le mans saloon, 2 A6 C6 Le Mans estates and an A3 8P.

After a short while mingling the weather had improved and we headed off to look at the other club displays and stands. There was plenty of nice Audis to look at and the biggest club displays by far were the RS3 Owners Club, the A2 Club and a couple of the classic Audi clubs. Everyone I spoke to were friendly and were happy to talk about their cars and the clubs. Audi UK were also in attendance with some of their heritage collection which consisted of an NSU Ro80, RS2 and Audi Quattro as well as bringing some of their newer offerings such as the new RS5 and R8.

After lunch the members geared up to participate in the parade lap around the famous Castle Combe race track. For this a drivers briefing had to be attended but afterwards the cars were lined up in the holding area to be lead out for four laps around the track. This was clearly an experience none of us would forget!

Besides the parade lap there were dedicated track sessions to allow people to put their cars through their paces. There were some lovely cars on track including a couple of R8 race cars and an old Audi 80, there were even some non Audi cars namely a Seat Leon in Gulf racing colours and a golf Mk5.

By 2:30 people started to leave the show to make their way home and most of our club had left by 4:00. All in all the Audi Driver international was a great show to attend and had a nice atmosphere to it. It is definitely a show the club will be attending next year!

Thanks for reading J

Cheers

Steve

IMG_5428.JPG

IMG_5429.JPG

IMG_5430.JPG

IMG_5431.JPG

IMG_5432.JPG

IMG_5433.JPG

IMG_5434.JPG

IMG_5435.JPG

IMG_5436.JPG

IMG_5437.JPG

IMG_5438.JPG

IMG_5439.JPG

IMG_5440.JPG

IMG_5441.JPG

IMG_5442.JPG

IMG_5443.JPG

IMG_5444.JPG

IMG_5445.JPG

IMG_5446.JPG

IMG_5447.JPG

IMG_5448.JPG

IMG_5449.JPG

IMG_5450.JPG

IMG_5451.JPG

IMG_5452.JPG

IMG_5453.JPG

IMG_5454.JPG

IMG_5455.JPG

IMG_5456.JPG

IMG_5457.JPG

IMG_5458.JPG

IMG_5459.JPG

IMG_5460.JPG

IMG_5461.JPG

IMG_5462.JPG

IMG_5463.JPG

IMG_5464.JPG

IMG_5465.JPG

IMG_5466.JPG

IMG_5467.JPG

IMG_5468.JPG

IMG_5469.JPG

IMG_5470.JPG

IMG_5471.JPG

IMG_5472.JPG

IMG_5473.JPG

IMG_5474.JPG

IMG_5475.JPG

IMG_5476.JPG

IMG_5477.JPG

IMG_5478.JPG

IMG_5479.JPG

IMG_5480.JPG

IMG_5481.JPG

IMG_5482.JPG

IMG_5483.JPG

IMG_5484.JPG

IMG_5485.JPG

IMG_5486.JPG

IMG_5487.JPG

IMG_5488.JPG

IMG_5489.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Paul A6 said:

Was nice to put faces to names, other than the short spell of light rain it soon passed and was nice and warm i will be returning next year too:yahoo:

Couldn't agree more Paul! was a fantastic show and was great to meet up with fellow members! :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Southampton Graham said:

Thanks for the report Steve

I wish I could of made it. Perhaps next year.

Great Pics and a good turnout

Your welcome Graham :) 

Yep, there's always next year! :) 

Thank you :) and it certainly was a good turn out of members :) 

Cheers

Steve

Nice write up Steve :yes:, I've got some pics I'll add to the thread once I get them off my phone in a bit. I've got some cracking pics of the engine bay of the first red Audi quattro about and also I've got a couple of minuets of video from one of the track sessions later in the day which I've lumped in to one video. Not Audi's but there is a clip of the MK V & MK I Golfs going at it, I'd didn't get it on video but the MKV messed up the corner to the finish striaght and further round the lap it looks like he mite of broke something and the MK I did him :yahoo:

• Like 1

This Audi quattro which Steve posted a pic of above is actually a very rare car. It is 1 of only 17 which were made as right hand drive but with a left hand drive chassis. Apparently it was the result of a mistake when swapping over the production models at the  end of the left hand drive production line! The own spent plenty of time to create the rally replica but intends to return it to 100% original after finding out the rarity of the car.

20170916_093052.jpg

• Like 2

This was one of my favorite cars of the day. This is the engine bay of the first red Audi 100 from Steve's post above.

20170916_120200.thumb.jpg.81af52828ba1097f5839e0c13462df69.jpg

20170916_120210.jpg

Edited by Rob82DZL
I'm a muppet and put the wrong model!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob82DZL said:

Nice write up Steve :yes:, I've got some pics I'll add to the thread once I get them off my phone in a bit. I've got some cracking pics of the engine bay of the first red Audi quattro about and also I've got a couple of minuets of video from one of the track sessions later in the day which I've lumped in to one video. Not Audi's but there is a clip of the MK V & MK I Golfs going at it, I'd didn't get it on video but the MKV messed up the corner to the finish striaght and further round the lap it looks like he mite of broke something and the MK I did him :yahoo:

Thanks Rob! :) 

great pics and video by the way! :D 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, niedzial1983 said:

This one ?

20170916_093954.jpg

20170916_093145.jpg

20170916_092404.jpg

9 hours ago, Rob82DZL said:

That's the one, it had a quality interior :yes: and the rest of it too...

That's an 80 isn't it? And yea I got more pics of that and it's crazy exhaust lol

I thought you meant the other one that we saw when we came back from the parade lap? 

Or was it just me and my brother that saw a mk1 Audi 100 modded on air?! 

Great photos and great event!

It was wonderful to meet you all and sorry I wasn't there for long but was really impressed by what I saw there.

Here is a link to the Gallery with some photos of the day....plenty of pics of the drive onto the circuit for the Parade Lap.

2 hours ago, niedzial1983 said:

I just checked my dashcam and there is something there :) 

20170920_082705.jpg

20170920_082654.jpg

That's the one!!!! :) I knew I hadn't dreamt it lol 

34 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Great photos and great event!

It was wonderful to meet you all and sorry I wasn't there for long but was really impressed by what I saw there.

Here is a link to the Gallery with some photos of the day....plenty of pics of the drive onto the circuit for the Parade Lap.

Great pics Trevor :)

• 3 weeks later...