Your advice would be appreciated

vlb

Took my A7 into an Audi approved garage (will remain nameless for the time being) to have the oil & filter in my S-Tronic gearbox changed as I was getting a Gearbox malfunction warning message.

After noticing that they hadn’t charged me for a filter I asked them why, they told me my gearbox was Multitronic which didn’t need one.

Needless to say it IS an S-Tronic so after convincing them to take another look (2 days had passed) they accepted it was and changed the filter for free.

Well car went to Audi today (12 days from filter change) as car wouldn’t move, constant gearbox malfunction messages etc.  Audi have just called me to say that there was no gearbox oil left as it has leaked out from a 17mm crack in the housing where the filter has been excessively tightened. They advised me that I would likely need to put a new gearbox in it as it had been driving without sufficient oil in it and quoted me > £7k.

I took the report straight to the garage who fitted the filter and they have asked me if they can pick the car up from Audi to fit a new housing etc.

My question is doing I allow them to do it or do I get Audi to fix it and claim it back via my insurance (who would then chase the original garage for compensation)

After just speaking to the guy from the original garage I got the impression that he is happy if they fix the leak and he is not taking the damage done by driving with no gear box oil into consideration.

It’s true that I was getting malfunction messages prior but the car would always drive after I switched it off and on. 

Advice appreciated

When you say Audi Approved I take it you mean non-Audi franchise so manned with ex- Audi Trained technicians?

Sounds to me like they want to put it right without the expense an Audi Franchise would charge to fix it properly. 

If it was me I would want the best attention paid for future peace of mind. 

I think under the consumer law you have to give them the opportunity to try and fix it within a specified time. If they don't then you can take it further. Make sure you log and document everything. Dates/ times/ who you spoke to etc. Hope this may help 

Vlb, ouch!! What a nightmare. As you are in Edinburgh may I suggest a phone call to Mackies in Tolcross Glasgow,  01417784545 for some impartial advice on the best way forward. Your gearbox is not repairable though in my opinion. I would only accept a full rebuild or a complete replacement box.

Ask in writing what the garage is willing to do to rectify this situation for you. 

Hope it goes ok.

The original garage got it back from Audi on a low loader.  They have replaced the broken part and refilled with ATF.

I picked the car up last night and it appears to be ok (still getting intermittent gearbox malfunction warning but was getting this anyway.)

I think any damage to the gearbox done by running without ATF is not quantifiable so it would be hard to press them for full gearbox.

I spoke to a solicitor who advise me to take photos of crack etc and allow the garage to try and remedy the situation.

Bit of a sore one tbh.