Best dashcam for rear window

JQ5

I have a nextbase rearview mirror dashcam attached to the OEM mirror which is superb as you can record the whole road ahead in HD, not have any problem checking footage as it a screen within the mirror itself and it’s not in the way when looking through the windscreen. 

I want to use the rear 12v power outlet in the boot to connect a small dashcam which powers on when I start the car. 

It will be positioned in the top centre and cabled around the inner lining using Velcro tabs. 

Anyone using a small dashcam which is reliable and can connect to a phone using WiFi?

cheers  👍

HIya  Jay I currently use a 'Blackvue' which covers both front and back and have no problems, I used the services of a Guy in Cranleigh, Surrey to wire mine in very discreetly and they both operate on ignition. if interested I'll give you there details. David of Guildford

• Thanks 1

Hi David,

Thank you for the reply  

i appreciate the offer and will use hardwired cams in the future  

I can’t have the camera’s hardwired in as yet because the dealership have advised it will void my warranty unless it is the Audi UTC front and rear set hardwired to the fuse box  

Thats £350 for the cams and £150 for the wiring they want to take off me  

I’m holding back on hardwiring and just using the 12v outlets for now. 

The front cam cost me £150 so looking for a small cam like a nextbase 112 for £50 that other people have used and can recommend-  which works well peering out through the rear tinted window  

many thanks  

Jay, what is your vehicle plate, I have a 2014 Q5 and my dealers here in G'Ford said go ahead, I think my whole set cost approx. £300 and well worth it, bearing in mind the cost of the vehicle.

Hey Jay, unsure if it will help but we had a topic on dash cans/dash cam footage recently. Here's the link 

It might be useful it might not but thought I'd let you know :) 

I've not used dash cams myself so can't really help, sorry. 

Cheers

Steve 

Hi Paul and Steve,

Thank you for the replies. 

After thinking about David’s reply I am going to contact the dealer and get written permission to have the dashcams hardwired into the fuse box  

after I get that approval which then can’t be reneged on, I’ll choose out of the Thinkware & Blackvue options as they seem to be the best  

👍🎯🏆

9 hours ago, JQ5 said:

Hi Paul and Steve,

Thank you for the replies. 

After thinking about David’s reply I am going to contact the dealer and get written permission to have the dashcams hardwired into the fuse box  

after I get that approval which then can’t be reneged on, I’ll choose out of the Thinkware & Blackvue options as they seem to be the best  

👍🎯🏆

Your welcome glad we could help :) 

Jay, just a point, my electrical guy fitted it to somewhere just behind the ignition and as the ignition is activated it makes the camera live, so nothing to do with the Fuse box.

David

I’ve gone with the easy option and using the rear 12v power outlet and the nextbase cam. Works a treat and can’t be seen through the tinted rear window. 

Happy daze 

• 2 months later...
On 01/10/2017 at 9:21 PM, JQ5 said:

Hi David,

Thank you for the reply  

i appreciate the offer and will use hardwired cams in the future  

I can’t have the camera’s hardwired in as yet because the dealership have advised it will void my warranty unless it is the Audi UTC front and rear set hardwired to the fuse box  

Thats £350 for the cams and £150 for the wiring they want to take off me  

I’m holding back on hardwiring and just using the 12v outlets for now. 

The front cam cost me £150 so looking for a small cam like a nextbase 112 for £50 that other people have used and can recommend-  which works well peering out through the rear tinted window  

many thanks  

Here I am just browsing the forums and I spotted this. What a load of nonsense from Audi! 

I have a Thinkware dashcam hard wired in and have not been told anything of the sort by my dealer (as yet) and they are aware of it as it is in for a roof leak at the moment. 

They simply cannot void a warranty based on a dashcam being fitted. Furthermore, I would have reported them to trading standards for an aggressive commercial practice contrary to the consumer protection from unfair trading regulations. They are effectively forcing you to buy their expensive products by making such threats!

I’m not a solicitor but I have a degree in law and consumer law is one of my areas of expertise. 

Hi Steve,

I have ignored the salesperson, customer services rep and the Audi workshop and hardwired in a front camera, which is on a fuse that turns the camera on when I open the door using advanced key, so it’s all powered up and recording prior to me sitting in the seat or driving off. 

The rear cam is connected to the rear 12v socket for convienience, it powers up when I push the start button even if the engine isn’t being started. 

Much happier now with the long lead from front dashcam hidden from view 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...