Oil type for A6 C5 2.5 TDI V6

Dan3222

Hi ladies and gents,

could anyone tell me correct oil to use in my mates 2.5 V6 2002 please. There is conflicting advice on the old WWW.

many thanks in advance

Dan

26 minutes ago, Dan3222 said:

Hi ladies and gents,

could anyone tell me correct oil to use in my mates 2.5 V6 2002 please. There is conflicting advice on the old WWW.

many thanks in advance

Dan

Hi dan, I dont know what oil is in mine off hand but I'll ask my mechanic :) it must be good though as mines done 328k lol 

Right, my mechanic uses fully synthetic 5w 30 oil. Specifically it's a General Motors oil specially designed for Audi and Mercedes cars. 

I know that sounds crazy but my mechanic swears by it and has been putting it in the a6 for years. I suppose the proof is in the pudding in the fact my car has covered 328k miles without an engine rebuild and has never we been apart. It's on the second turbo which blew at 75k so it's done 270k on one turbo. 

Needless to say this oil seems awesome! 

Hope IV helped :) 

Cheers

Steve 

• 2 years later...

great advise this above, mine is on 204k just got it 3 months ago. runs great but don't no what oil I need to buy. well I do now. what I didn't no is what type of sieving I should go on.  short life and inspection  or longlife. the car will do 8k a year from now on but will be towing 1 to 3.5 ton every mile it does. it wont be driving unless its towing. any advice. this is a towing work horse car only and I want to look after it.

Hello Alex,

I cannot confirm your car should be running on 5w/30, and my advice would be to consult your handbook to confirm, or otherwise. 

Regarding the servicing schedule:- Are you going to service this yourself, or have the servicing done for you?

If you are not going to do it, are you going to get it done at a main dealer, independent, or a local garage? 

Appreciating SteveQ recommended using GM oil back in 2017, I have stuck with the VAG (once recommended/still recommended?) Quantum Longlife 3 oil, which as its name suggests, is the oil used on a Longlife schedule. However, I change it every year - doing around your anticipated 8K miles. In view of the hard life your vehicle is going to get, I would recommend you do the same. This oil is available from a number of eBay sellers, including Audi Parts Direct at Cardiff (no connection). 

Filters? If not using VAG, I only use Mann or Bosch - without exception. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.