Sidelight bulb replacement problem

Steve Rogers

Over the years I’ve fitted many upgraded bulbs to cars. So now comes the A3...

I bought some Philips Racing Vision bulbs and some LED sidelights. Managed to change the headlight bulbs with some difficulties and then I tried the sidelight bulbs. It sits in a holder accompanied by a sort of paddle with which to grab onto and I removed it easily but could not get it to go back in.

Changed back to the standard sidelight to make sure it wasn’t the new bulb that was the problem but as I tried to insert it, the bulb pinged off and landed inside the headlight housing!!

Unlike on previous cars like my Fiesta ST a few years ago, you can’t simply remove the headlight housing. According to Google research from various sources, the front bumper has to be removed in order to get to it!!!
Short of going to those lengths, or indeed a magnet, I plan to remove the DRL bulb and thus be able to utilise a larger hole and attach a rubber pipe to the vacuum cleaner and hoover the damn thing out!

When I have eventually retrieved the bulb, any tips on how to re-insert the bulb holder? It was an absolute nightmare trying to get it back through the hole!

Thank F for that  :yahoo: The vacuum idea succeeded in retrieving the bulb! I accessed the housing by removing the DRL bulb which enabled greater access.

I then had the task of fitting the LED sidelights and discovered that this time it went in easily and thus concluded that removing the DRL bulb whilst fitting the sidelight is the key to success. On the passenger side I proved this because the holder refused to go back in but once the DRL was out, in it went no problem  :yes:

Just a note for anyone else planning on changing their sidelight with this method:

1: The sidelights only work one way around so try before putting it back in

2: When putting the DRL bulb back which simply twists and locks in place, you might find the wires from the sidelight are now in the way so you'll need to push those aside

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve Rogers said:

Completed my before and after footage of the headlights now. I'll try to get a still photo of the sidelights at dusk tomorrow as they look great :cool:

Superb Dave! I'll feature and pin this topic for other members to find it easier to find as I'm sure your advice will be very appreciated! 

Cheers

Steve 

• Like 1