Q7 Front indicator cluster removal

Tigerwoods

Hi, I have a 2012 Q7 & the drivers side LED indicator cluster looks to be faulty as it contains condensation & some water. The faulty bulb icon is also now appearing on the dash. Audi (as always) won't cover this under warranty & want £600 to replace. I can obtain a salvage replacement for next to nothing but when I take the bumper section out to gain access to the retaining screws holding the indicator cluster in place, the screws cannot be accessed form thr front? There seems to be an air filter/cooler behind the cluser too, further resrticting the access to the screwheads. Any help or advice on how I can get better access would be a god send.
Thanks

• 1 year later...

Did you find a solution to the problem of not being able to remove the LED indicator lights without removing the bumper. The owners manual is quite clear but the screw are the wrong way round only the threads showing. Did you have to go to the Dealer just to change a bulb, I had to on my last Q7 and I hoped that this time Audi put the the screws in the right way round.see attached pictures.

IMG_0288.JPG

IMG_0292.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi. I had exactly the same problem on my 2014 Q7. I purchased a new part from Audi. I asked them about how to fit it (of course they declined to provide any clues). But from using the new part I was able to work out how to change it without removing the bumper. So the bumper does definitely not need to be changed. Here is a few comments on the process followed:

1. Removed both screws - I loosened them with grips on the thread side and then reached in and removed completely with fingers.

2. The light now wobbles but will not come out because (a) the brackets for the bumper, stop the brackets for the lighting unit from getting past (as the bumper brackets are in front of the lighting brackets), and (b) There are two clips on the top of the lighting unit that slot into the bumper itself (you cannot see these until the lighting unit is out).

3. The lighting unit needs to slide out from the slots in the bumper (to address comment b. above). In my case, the light needed to be pushed back and slid towards the outside wing of the car). At this point you can leverage out the clips on the top of the lighting unit with a flat bladed crew driver - just place it in between the lighting unit and the bumper and lever it down. This did take quite a lot of force...

4. Once the top clips are free, the lighting unit can then be rotated (top edge comes forward) and pulled out over the top of the bumper brackets (thereby addressing part a. above. The unit should now come out.

To be fair, it did take quite a bit of force to get it out, so be brave...once out, just reverse the process to put the new unit in. I hope this helps.

• Like 1