Head lights not working

Noel

Hi guys, My headlights not working it states a bulb is blown, but it’s not the bulbs, I was told it’s a ballast, but purchased a ballast and that doesn’t seem to be the problem either, it was initially one light not working,, but now after a guy (auto elec) looked at it both lights are now not working, it seems to be baffling the auto electrician has anyone come across this problem before ? Thanks in advance 

• 1 month later...

Check the Ballast, my 2012 A6, has 2 on each light, one at the back and one underneath the headlights, my headlight is letting in water so that’s a good reason, why it stopped working, can’t seem to find where water is getting in, I’ve attached pics of Ballasts one has 2 x connections at the back and the other one has 1 x connection, I’ve managed to get one light working got 2 x new ballasts, mind you it’s now showing Headlight Range Defective Fault, and the light is poor, waiting on 2 x more Ballasts, 

C9F641F4-94E8-4ADC-99BE-2B9F490AC66E.png

6F8E647F-F383-4536-A3CF-42E1AF0979C5.jpeg

You’ll get the Ballasts on eBay a lot cheaper than Audi, I switched the bottom Ballasts around when the first headlight stopped working  so I’d assume as the headlight was letting in water it corroded the second (good) ballast as well 

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM LIGHTS NOT WORKING ON PASSENGER SIDE HEADLIGHT  CHANGED BALLAST ALSO MODULE NEXT TO BALLAST TOOK HEADLIGHT OFF AND CHECKED IT ON DRIVER SIDE HEADLIGJT WORKS I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY MECHANIC THAT IT'S THROWING UP CODE J159 AMY IDEA'S PLEASE DRIVING ME CRAZY  LIGHTS NOT WORKING ON PASSENGER SIDE BUT PLUG HEADLIGHT ON DRIVETSIDE THEY WORK 

Edited by MIRZA BEG

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

The original poster - Noel - hasn’t been on the forum for over 3 years, but it could be well worth sending him a PM.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to let the forum know if you do have a positive outcome.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Gareth.

So far I just tried to locate a blown fuse that could be the issue but no luck. I believe mine got water inside from the back door of a headlight being left off for a couple of days. After I replaced the D3S bulb it only worked for one day. Then the right (same) side turn signal and DRL’s have been out ever since. 
I was going to try to pull the entire headlight out to get to the wiring behind it but I was kind of afraid to get into that detailed of a job. Do you know if you have to remove the bumper to pull the headlight assembly out?

Thanks 

• 3 months later...

Hi did you ever get this resolved as I have had exactly the same issue D3S bulb started to flicker, changed to a couple of night breaker bulbs. All good then the Passenger side light unit stopped working completely. No D3S, DRL’s  fog, indicator and even the hazard circuit does not work. 

Though it it might be an earth issue? But please do let me know before I purchase new ballasts ?

Jay