A5 2.0TDI Quattro 190PS Poor Fuel Economy! ~25mpg

A900

Hi guys,

I have an A5 2.0TDI Quattro 190PS Black Edition Plus, November 2015. I bought it second hand from Audi with 8000 miles on the clock in January 2017. 

It is killing me on fuel!! I am getting around 200-240 miles per tank (60 litre tank) and no I do not floor it constantly. At it’s first service which was around 3 weeks ago I told Audi about my fuel efficiency. They did a diagnostics check and checked for any leaks and said it was all fine! They put it down to cold weather (even though the mpg has been awful for the whole year!), my driving and stop start traffic driving conditions. I got a remap put on the car last week in an attempt to help the fuel efficiency but it’s literally the same and hasn’t helped.

This is not right, has anyone experienced anything like this? If anyone could point me in the right direction I’d be very grateful! Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum Amar, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

You are correct in saying 25mpg isn't right! I get more out of my 02 plate a6 2.5tdi v6 diesel! 

My key question you need to ask is whether or not your a5 has had the emissions update as per the vw emissions scandal. I bet it has and this us believed to affect fuel economy. Audi/Volkswagen deny this of course. But have a look under the recalls section with regard to the emissions update. You'll find various bits of useful info there.

Sorry I can't help more and sorry the diagnostic check didn't throw any faults up. 

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I did actually ask Audi about the emissions update when it went in for the service and they said it “didn’t have the update as it wasn’t affected” (it is a November 2015 build so I didn’t think it would have been affected). Is there any other way for me to check or verify that it hasn’t had the update aside from taking Audi’s word for it?

Other forums have suggested using Redex to see if that can improve my mpg, so I will give that a go and will keep this post updated.

Hello Amar,

Sorry to hear of your issue:- 

Some things to note/do:-  200 to a max of 240 miles per 60 litre tank full equates to 15 to a max.of 18 mpg not 25mpg by my arithmetic, so this is even worse. I note you say you do not floor it constantly, so how regularly do you floor it and would you say your driving style may be generally "enthiastic" ? I notice you are in the London area so wonder about traffic and stop starts and its affects. Still, this mpg seems a bit alcoholic.

With regards to  recalls and history, it might be worth checking on the American sites to see if this model year were recalled in any States over there which might lead you to more information over here.

Bear in mind that this vehicle is still under warranty, and Audi have a responsibility to prove its economy is within reasonable limits of its design figures, and others more knowledgeable than me on this might be able to confirm there is a set test which can be conducted by the Audi dealer.

Last but important point. Who was the previous recorded owner? If not Audi, have you attempted to get in touch with them to find out if perhaps this was the reason they sold the vehicle on. My guess is however that it was registered to Audi but the actual operator could have been anyone. Any clues anywhere in the car? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I wouldn’t say I drive slowly, but when I do try to get good efficiency it doesn’t happen. In terms of MPG I was going off the trip, but 18 mpg is very very bad.

I have put this on quite a few forums so I am keeping an eye on all and will update each accordingly.

Interesting to hear about this set test at Audi. Do you have any more information about this and what they do?

The last recorded owner was actually Volkswagen UK! I assume it was a staff car in their Milton Keynes head office.

If I can’t get to the bottom of this mpg issue, I think I am going to go for an S3 where 18-25mpg is justified lol.

Thanks.