Cooling fan

Gurds

My Audi A3 Cooling fan stays on for quite a while after I turn off the ignition. Is this something to be worried about? I don't drive my car like a lunatic so I'm quite concerned. 

Any help\advice would be welcome 

Your avatar says your car is a diesel..........

You will get a sound like the cooling fan whirring when the DPF is doing a regen.

Had that with all my diesels........

• Thanks 1

It trying to do a regen of the DPF. Take it a steady run up the motorway at above 2000rpm for 20 - 30 minutes for it to clear.

If it doesn't get a chance to complete then the DPF fills up with soot and will eventually cause possibly expensive problems.

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum Gurdeep, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

As the others have said, this is normal and is just the Diesel particulate filter doing a regeneration. This basically helps keep the dpf clear and stops it clogging with soot. 

Cheers

Steve

• Thanks 1

Brilliant guys, thanks so much for the replies they've really helped calm the nerves as this was a new buy for me. If anyone knows any cool S-line tricks up their sleeves or perhaps a cool hack of the MMI system that would surely be appreciated :)

Thanks again.