Mechatronic Unit fault

Big GeordieLad

• 5 years later...

Hi folks, I seem to have had XMAS lights poping up on the dashboard, and now (in the past few days) showing "gearbox malfunction - you may continue driving" message. Having taken this to German Autocare, who spent 15mins plugging it into the computer to then tell me the mechatronic unit needs replacing, for an arm, kidney and both legs! Can someone recommend anyone in west yorkshire/or nearby who can help diagnose the problem i.e check the computer plug, battery and if required a carry out a repair on the mechatronic unit? The car seems to drive fine, with the odd occasion when it felt like the car was in neutral; which a restart has fixed.

I have a 7speed box, last serviced at 40k in 2020 and now on 50k miles.

I also noticed that the dashboard lights appear when the stop/start (a) is on and its been a rainy day. When the car is left for a few days the dashlights disappear; althought now seeing the gearbox malfuction message come on even when the rest the the lights are off - again seems to drive fine.