Wet footwell carpets - The source has been found

Steve Rogers

Since back in early October (had the car late September) I’ve noticed wet carpets in the front footwells. At first I put it down to heavy rain and then of course we had a largely dry autumn. Only of late have we seen an increase in the frequency of rain. 

Besides, with rubber mats, who checks under the mats on a regular basis? Just before Christmas I noticed it was quite bad when I was vacuuming the car. So I’ve been drying the carpets out with the air con and heater every so often. 

Well I took the car to Audi today and as I drove along I noticed water dripping down from around the switches for the sunroof and interior light. I also noticed wet patches on the roof lining at the top of the pillars on both sides. 

So after meddling with it all day they have found the fault! The frame for the panoramic glass sunroof is fractured! They are going to contact Audi warranty tomorrow to ensure they will honour the claim (which may extend to new carpets if they have gone manky). 

The next problem is that the part required is on back order. This means that if I want my car back in the meantime, it'll still have the leaky roof or I just hang onto their courtesy car for however long it takes. They have given me a 67 plate A1 TDI DSG S-Line. Perfectly acceptable car but I’d like mine back soon.  

Let's see what happens tomorrow

Sorry to hear your having this issue Dave but at least Audi have found the fault quickly and given you a courtesy car. I wonder how the glass roof has got damaged. 

Please keep us posted on how you get on.

Cheers

Steve

• Thanks 1

Right, the latest update is that there is still no word from the warranty people so it will be Monday before there is any decision. The engineer has confirmed that it is not the glass at fault and it is not down to something hitting the roof for example. 

It is a faulty part in the frame which has deteriorated and got worse until the rain is coming in excessively. One of the parts required is back in stock now so it should be a quicker process. Meanwhile my car is in their indoor car park for obvious reasons! 

Hi Steve 

hope you get a result out of this.

Noticed like me you have the Thinkware F770 dash cam, cracking piece of kit i have the front and rear cams what do you think of the cam?

Yes it’s really good and the app is easy to use for downloading the footage. The garage said they would remove the camera from the window which just slides out of the holder as you know. 

They said it interferes with their diagnostic equipment. What they mean is they don’t want me spying on their workshop activities lol

59 minutes ago, Steve Rogers said:

interferes with their diagnostic equipment

lmao i`ve had my car hooked up to diagnostic and worked just fine, i`d look round for a new garage if they got something to hide :whistling1:

• Like 1

Ok, Derby Audi phoned a short while ago to deliver two lots of bad news and one piece of excellent news. 

The fault is not covered by the warranty and the cost to me would be between £3k and £4k. :shock: Basically it needs a whole new glass roof and all components. 

Fortunately, Audi HQ and the sales team at the dealer are going to split the cost between them so I don’t have to part with anything. One positive review coming up on Google once I have it back around the 19th :thumbsup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Rogers said:

Ok, Derby Audi phoned a short while ago to deliver two lots of bad news and one piece of excellent news. 

The fault is not covered by the warranty and the cost to me would be between £3k and £4k. :shock: Basically it needs a whole new glass roof and all components. 

Fortunately, Audi HQ and the sales team at the dealer are going to split the cost between them so I don’t have to part with anything. One positive review coming up on Google once I have it back around the 19th :thumbsup:

That's fantastic news!! :)